15 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 15
18 December 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Scorpicus, great strategy if you like movies and cartoons too, but it can and should be adapted if you don't.
I recently found yet another book promising to teach you to read German in 12 lessons, but this one actually made a lot of sense. The main idea is that you can learn to read fluently in one area and build up from there. The suggested types of texts are newspaper articles on politics and economics, and there are some great strategies given.

I think the same applies to listening. instead of watching cartoons, you can listen to podcasts on familiar topics for people who're new to them. your knowledge and the loan words/proper nouns will help. While it's true that movies usually give more visual clues than podcasts (though podcasts can use images too), very often the language is also more clear in podcasts (like in audiobooks, which are another great source).

my strategy is more like:
football matches->football interviews/harry potter (LR or movies)/the hobbit/narnia->(will be) familiar and more complicated works as audiobooks (LOTR, The Master and Margaret)->(will probably be) unfamiliar books and/or books in the original (LR, then "natural listening")->.......
but i think it's pretty much the same strategy, only with the important tweak that i usually don't like movies but there are some exceptions.

Edited by Serpent on 19 December 2011 at 1:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 15
27 December 2011 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
My most effective one is Listening-reading.

I have lots of others, but none are anywhere near as effective (until you want to get to the point of understanding a language with lots of background noise/distortion/etc; then conversing in groups in loud environments and watching movies are helpful).
You've posted about the effect that LR with accelerated audio had on your listening comprehension (even as a whole, not just in that language). Do you consider this a separate technique for improving your listening comprehension? If you recommend it, does the language matter? (for example, should I use a familiar or an unfamiliar one? I'll probably do either Italian/Spanish or Danish) How much should the audio speed be accelerated? Have you tried this with other languages and do you think this would be beneficial? Any idea what's the minimal and optimal time spent? (per session and on the whole) So many questions lol, sorry.

Has anyone else tried this? Experiences/comments?

Edited by Serpent on 27 December 2011 at 3:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

allen
United States
Joined 5019 days ago

23 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Thai

Message 11 of 15
27 December 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
I'm also want to learn more about the listening-reading method, but it looks like Volte's
link is broken. Where was it meant to go?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 12 of 15
27 December 2011 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
http://learnlangs.com/Listening-Reading_important_passages.h tm
there's a lot more stuff on this forum.

ushikougeki
Korea, South
Joined 4650 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 13 of 15
30 December 2011 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Hi. I'm new to this forum, and new to self study. My previous language learning experience was years ago studying Japanese in college where I was told what to do every step of the way. Now I'm about 7 months into learning Korean on my own and I am still trying to figure out the best way to go about learning it.

I am wondering what should the first steps be with developing listening comprehension? Most of the strategies in this thread seem to be geared toward a higher level than mine. I am already used to the general sound of Korean cause I lived there for a year and I can read and write Korean much better than I can speak or understand spoken Korean. How much should I be able to understand of the listening materials if they were written out? I have read things like I should be spending X minutes or hours listening everyday. So does that mean listening to a brief dialog with words and grammar I understand 100% fifty times in a row? Or listening to something longer where maybe I cannot understand much of what they are saying?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 15
30 December 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
well, if there's a huge gap between your reading and listening (i've experienced this in the very beginning of my Finnish studies), it makes sense to learn to understand familiar words when spoken. there's no need to listen 50 times, chances are you'll get bored and hate it etc. best listen to various simple texts, perhaps you can find some with questions/tasks/exercises for your comprehension and the material covered.
if there's anything specific you want to listen to, go ahead regardless of your level.

try out Listening-Reading too:)

ushikougeki
Korea, South
Joined 4650 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 15 of 15
01 January 2012 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Thanks. I'll just keep at it with the simple dialogs for now. I just wasn't very confident that my listening practice is getting me anywhere since I have never done this on my own before. It's much easier for me to measure my progress with reading and writing.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version