Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 27
20 December 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Those who view mistakes in a constructive way or who invite criticism about their mistakes usually succeed in making it past the plateau.

Having a coach is also a great way to improve. Consider this great article from the New Yorker called Personal Best.

In terms of language acquisition, this may mean having a tutor, teacher or partner whom you invite criticism from. If you don't like having your mistakes exposed, allowing a single person to comment on your mistakes is a great way to seek advice and find improvement. You can ask them to make suggestions about what they think you should work on first or what you need to improve.

Edited by Arekkusu on 20 December 2011 at 7:52pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4758 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 10 of 27
23 December 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
For me learning is both exciting and painful. It has to be painful for me to know I'm progressing. I remember,
back in school, when I had to read difficult and theory heavy texts, and I felt completely, but completely stupid : I
knew the words, the language, everything, but I generally did not understand! That's painful and frustrating, the
realization of one's ignorance and mental incompetence in face of certain goals. But years later I went back to
these texts and others like them and understood them without any effort. With learning languages it's pretty
much the same thing for me. Of course, sometimes it's good to be able to progress without it being painful and it
doesn't always need to be. But after a while, if I don't jump to that certain type of exercise which I tend to
approach "à reculons" (backwards...), I know I'm just not progressing as much as I could. The pain is linked to the
ego : it's never easy to feel like an idiot, but it holds some promise.
My polish teacher makes fun of me when I make mistakes but we laugh together at them. That makes things fun.
I guess it can be fun to look like an idiot sometimes, with the right people.

Edited by Homogenik on 25 December 2011 at 4:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5856 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 11 of 27
25 December 2011 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I feel that I've reached that sort of acceptable plateau with Russian. I understand
little spoken material, and I can sort of brute-force my way through a text. But I don't
feel like I'm improving. I learn words, lots of words, but I don't feel like it actually
helps me read anything. I'm already getting out of my comfort zone, but I'm not getting
any nearer to land; I feel as if my goal is as far away as it was last year. I am
frustrated.

Clearly one cannot stray too far from ones comfort zone. How far is too far?
1 person has voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4758 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 12 of 27
25 December 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Do you practice speaking out loud often? Maybe you should do it more, with specific themes you can draw "out of a
hat" or something (with a dictionary in hand to grab that word you need to complete a certain sentence, but mostly
trying to use vocabulary you can use already). I think that can help solidify the bases (even if you make mistakes).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5700 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 27
25 December 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
lynxrunner, I think that might not actually be a plateau, but a shift happening around low intermediate stage when you suddenly don't notice your progress anymore. This can be an issue for those who choose to work mostly with native material, like I do. Once you're through with the very high frequency stuff, you don't get as much reinforcement for all the new things you learn, and at the same time you learn more and more new words and grammar points. That means you forget more of the new items. My solutions are to work with a textbook, to review and repeat more or to use texts with similar content for a period of time. Either way, the goal is to restrict the amount of new things to learn and to get more reinforcement.
At the same time, reviewing will prove to you that you actually do improve.
ETA: Oh, and throw in more repetiton of audio you kind of get the gist of, it helps.

To those who replied to my questions; I'm thinking about what you wrote, and about how much of my lack of improvement stems from using the wrong approach and how much from my issues with social phobia.

Edited by Bao on 27 December 2011 at 3:04am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4758 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 14 of 27
26 December 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
To conquer your social phobia you could go out downtown one day and pretend like you're a tourist speaking
whatever language you're learning and want to practice.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5700 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 15 of 27
27 December 2011 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Homogenik wrote:
To conquer your social phobia you could go out downtown one day and pretend like you're a tourist speaking whatever language you're learning and want to practice.

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly, social anxiety is a rather complex problem. In my case a large proportion of my anxiety is made up of fears that cover my 'worth' for the other person, a group or society in general. Pretending to be someone I am not and 'using' clueless people as practice partners would make me feel very shameful and guilty.

In a way it comes back to the communication factor. Of course, language is a means of communication. But when you follow that train of thought, isn't the next question what you want to communicate to a person; which leads to the question how your relationship is shaped for you to want to communicate those things?

allen wrote:
As for prioritizing for me it isn't that hard. Just try using the language in all the ways you might use your own native language and see where you come up short. The harder part is understanding exactly what the problem is and coming up with a solution.

But I don't use English like I use German. It's not my family language nor my community language. If I tried to come up with ways to navigate my daily life in English (and forced them upon my surroundings), I'd still lack one major factor: Immediate feedback from proficent speakers. What I currently do is to communicate about things I experienced/learnt using German in English, but I do so in writing. (Yes, doing the same in speaking might be a good idea.)

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 16 of 27
27 December 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly, social anxiety is a rather complex problem. In my case a large proportion of my anxiety is made up of fears that cover my 'worth' for the other person, a group or society in general. Pretending to be someone I am not and 'using' clueless people as practice partners would make me feel very shameful and guilty.

I've actually found the welcome that I get for speaking someone else's language does wonders for my self-esteem. Be humble, but revel in the praise they give you.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version