Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6436 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 26 of 27
04 January 2012 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
It's interesting to me to see that the same kind of ideas that are applied in physical training can be applied to mental training. A 10% increase is a pretty commonly cited increase in the amount of work an athlete training for an endurance event should do from week to week.

I wonder if the same kind of reduced work resting periods that are applied in sports training have been considered for the training of mental tasks like those mentioned in the first post?
1 person has voted this message useful

allen
United States
Joined 5019 days ago

23 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Thai

Message 27 of 27
06 January 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
I think the thing I was trying to grasp in my first post is that the problem in the
original article is different from the sort of problems that language learners face.
For us, it's not about how to do something better or faster. It's mostly just learning
a massive amount of information. I think often people don't even realize that certain
information needs to be learned in the first place. Bao's last post about marking
stresses shows the kind of thing that most people might not realize as information that
they want to have, but aren't looking for. Then the next thing you'd need to do would
be properly reviewing that information.

I think the two reasons people plateau is, first, that they don't know what information
they're missing or how to get it, and second, they aren't reviewing properly. But I see
no reason you'd need to plateau in language learning as long as you're steadily feeding
yourself new information and reviewing that information. I think that sometimes you'll
need to think out of the box or try different things to access that information and
review it properly. I think what happens is that people have a method that they like,
but that method only conveniently leads to learning a certain kind of information, and
when they've mastered that information, they stop improving even though they there's
still information that they've yet to learn. I think it helps to have strong
distinctions about what kinds of information there are that you want to learn.

Bao,
Is your problem that you don't have any native speakers to speak with at all, or that
you only want to interact with native speakers you know and are comfortable with. I
think if your problem is the latter then it's too much of a problem really. I don't
think putting yourself in uncomfortable social situations is necessary to solve the two
problems I mentioned above if you are creative in addressing those two problems.

Edited by allen on 06 January 2012 at 8:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version