linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 17 of 31
23 December 2011 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I can't agree with this. Even if it's true that most current teaching philosophies stress "exposure" as the key
element, I doubt if most current teaching philosophies are as lax on grammar as you say.

Sorry, I was making two points and didn't make myself clear.

Point 1:
It's one of the core points of teaching philosophies and they do underemphasise grammar, but don't generally completely ignore it. However, teachers often fail to correct many recurring mistakes claiming "they'll learn the correct form by exposure."

Point 2:
I've come across a lot of people who tell me that they learned their English or Spanish by exposure -- no lessons, no books. They almost invariably speak a very garbled form and aren't aware of it. In the case of Spanish, that often means a string of unconjugated infinitives and non-agreeing nouns and adjectives, or if you're lucky, it'll always be the present tense + yesterday, today or tomorrow.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 31
23 December 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

It's one of the core points of teaching philosophies and they do underemphasise grammar, but don't generally completely ignore it. However, teachers often fail to correct many recurring mistakes claiming "they'll learn the correct form by exposure."

I think you're using a "straw man" argument here. I agree with you that exposure is not enough, but I have never heard a teacher claim "they'll learn the correct form by exposure." I'm sure there are teachers who believe that; I once met someone who believes in unicorns. And I'm sure that a lot of beginner learners might believe that. But any teacher with experience will realize that it takes exposure and correction to learn a language.

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 19 of 31
25 December 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I have never heard a teacher claim "they'll learn the correct form by exposure."

I have, and I tend to agree with it. I'm all for teaching grammar thoroughly, and a certain amount of correction, but
very much against over-correction.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 20 of 31
28 December 2011 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I have never heard a teacher claim "they'll learn the correct form by exposure."

I have, and I tend to agree with it. I'm all for teaching grammar thoroughly, and a certain amount of correction, but
very much against over-correction.

Have a look again at what Cainntear wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
teachers often fail to correct many recurring mistakes claiming "they'll learn the correct form by exposure."

Is that what you're agreeing with? He didn't mention teachers who are against "over-correction". Really, who would support "over-correction". His comment was about teachers who are against correction. There was a very short lived movement in the late 60s in America in which educationalists taught against giving any correction at all (I don't know if the idea travelled much). It didn't last long because it didn't work. I would be very surprised if a trained language teacher would still support the idea.

Have you actually met a teacher who would not correct a student's mistakes because they would learn the correct form by exposure? Maybe you could direct them to the nearest teacher training college.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 31
28 December 2011 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
His comment was about teachers who are against correction. There was a very short lived movement in the late 60s in America in which educationalists taught against giving any correction at all (I don't know if the idea travelled much). It didn't last long because it didn't work. I would be very surprised if a trained language teacher would still support the idea.

Have you actually met a teacher who would not correct a student's mistakes because they would learn the correct form by exposure? Maybe you could direct them to the nearest teacher training college.
But it's about correcting recurring mistakes, not those that are directly related to the rule being taught atm.

For example, classes for beginners always have at least a brief introduction to the phonetics and intonation. You read aloud words or sentences that you see for the first time and you are corrected.

A month later, when you know every word in exactly the same sentence you read aloud on day 1, the teacher will only need your grammar and vocabulary. You won't be corrected unless your pronunciation is just horribly wrong.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 22 of 31
28 December 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Have a look again at what Cainntear wrote

There's no need to look at someone else's post to know that I disagree with yours. Let me summarize what I get
from reading your posts, and you can tell me if I misunderstood.

You think students should be corrected for every single mistake, no matter how minor. This is my definition of
extreme over-correction, and I'm very much against it. But you must have a different definition, because you say
you are against over-correction. You think a student won't correct any of their mistakes on their own, hence the
over-correction in the classroom. I think students will correct most of their mistakes with practice outside of the
classroom, and the teacher should focus on correcting the topic which is being taught, with the occasional
correction of glaring additional errors. I have had several teachers who over-correct, but many more who correct
approximately in the way I described. I believe they were taught this technique in teacher training, but you believe
they were taught to over-correct. You think I advocate "no correction", but actually I'm just against "over-
correction".

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 23 of 31
28 December 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
You think students should be corrected for every single mistake, no matter how minor. This is my definition of
extreme over-correction, and I'm very much against it.

I don't know about him, but I wouldn't recommend correcting every mistake.
Quote:
But you must have a different definition, because you say
you are against over-correction. You think a student won't correct any of their mistakes on their own, hence the
over-correction in the classroom. I think students will correct most of their mistakes with practice outside of the
classroom, and the teacher should focus on correcting the topic which is being taught, with the occasional
correction of glaring additional errors. I have had several teachers who over-correct, but many more who correct
approximately in the way I described. I believe they were taught this technique in teacher training, but you believe
they were taught to over-correct. You think I advocate "no correction", but actually I'm just against "over-
correction".

Personally, I'd class that as under-correction.

My experience, as described above, is that people simply do not self-correct by exposure. If it's "good enough" for comprehension, the input stimulus is ignored. I had a couple of students in the class (I mentioned this in a couple of threads recently) and I was doing a listening with them. We were doing a listening task about "house prices", but no matter how many times they listened to it, they kept repreating "prices of houses". People only notice as much as they need to understand, and nothing more.

I've met people who've been studying English for years and even living in Edinburgh for a couple of years, and they just can't shake those errors. They often don't know they're even making them. All it takes is a little prod from the teacher to get rid of these. But you can't correct every error -- you work on a few at a time, starting with the most important.

But only correcting errors for today's class really doesn't seem to do much. Only focusing on each item for a week has little or no lasting effect.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 24 of 31
28 December 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
[
There's no need to look at someone else's post to know that I disagree with yours. Let me summarize what I get
from reading your posts, and you can tell me if I misunderstood.

You think students should be corrected for every single mistake, no matter how minor.

You have either misunderstood spectacularly, or you are just winding me up. I said that students need correction. Whoever mentioned every single mistake? Not me. Would it even be possible to correct every single mistake? This is another example of the "straw man" argument: you make the other person's point of view to appear extreme so it is easy to argue with.

leosmith wrote:
You think a student won't correct any of their mistakes on their own

Again, I never said anything of the sort. Nobody who has ever taught would ever say such an extreme thing. You've made an exaggerated form of an argument I never even made. I am quite happy for students to learn to correct themselves through exposure to the language.

What is funny about what you are writing is that I was actually disagreeing with Cainntear's disagreement with you.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version