linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 25 of 31
29 December 2011 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
But any teacher with experience will realize that it takes exposure and correction to learn a language.

Unfortunately many teachers idea of correction is what's called "delayed correction", which involves giving feedback at the end of the session. It's rarely productive because the students already "know" the correct rule (consciously), and restating the rule after the fact doesn't do anything to correct the erroneous state/processes that caused the error on-the-fly. A quick prod at the time the error is made seems to be the only truly effective feedback.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 26 of 31
29 December 2011 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
But any teacher with experience will realize that it takes exposure and correction to learn a language.

Unfortunately many teachers idea of correction is what's called "delayed correction", which involves giving feedback at the end of the session. It's rarely productive because the students already "know" the correct rule (consciously), and restating the rule after the fact doesn't do anything to correct the erroneous state/processes that caused the error on-the-fly. A quick prod at the time the error is made seems to be the only truly effective feedback.

Something like that idea of correction "on-the-fly" is what's known now as "Assessment for Learning", which is probably the most important new idea in education in the UK. The idea is that you check progress in different ways throughout the course of a lesson, and adjust the lesson as needed. Research has shown that it is far more effective than what is known as "summative assessment", or assessment done at the end of a topic or even lesson.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5364 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 27 of 31
29 December 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Part of this discussion about forms of correction is founded on the assumption that language learning, and especially grammar, can be reduced to learning a set of rules. I think there is room for debate here about the existence or reality of grammar rules. While there is no doubt that much learning can be based on explicit rules, I would hold that a) much grammar is not rule-based at all and is really just a collection of arbitrary practices and b) exemplar-based learning with good correction can produce excellent results when compared to rule-based learning.

The problem with much rule-based grammar learning is that students get bogged down trying to understand the rules and then applying them. For example, in Spanish attempting to understand the distinction between the verbs SER and ESTAR in terms of rules will only take you so far. Beyond a certain point, you have to accept that the distinction is really purely arbitrary and that most native speakers cannot explain the distinction. You just have to learn a bunch of examples. What I see time and time again is students hesitating while the gears are turning in their head as they try to apply some abstract rule and, more often than not, get the wrong answer.

As for people who have learned languages just by exposure, in my observation this can produce excellent results especially in terms of speaking fluency when done under the right conditions. One of the right conditions is some form of immediate correction. I see this all the time in linguistically mixed couples. The results of this spontaneous learning will usually outstrip anything that comes out of a classroom, at least where the spoken language is concerned.

Edited by s_allard on 29 December 2011 at 9:54am

3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 28 of 31
29 December 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
you make the other person's point of view to appear extreme so it is easy to argue with

...which is exactly what you did to me in your last post.

Cainntear wrote:
people simply do not self-correct by exposure

This is not true. I do myself, I've seen others do it, and I've read about it. A few bad experiences shouldn't make you come to
that conclusion.

s_allard wrote:
As for people who have learned languages just by exposure, in my observation this can produce excellent
results especially in terms of speaking fluency when done under the right conditions. One of the right conditions is some form
of immediate correction. I see this all the time in linguistically mixed couples. The results of this spontaneous learning will
usually outstrip anything that comes out of a classroom, at least where the spoken language is concerned.

I tend to agree. I would like to add that very few people learn a high percentage of a language in a classroom. There are a few
exceptions, but I believe most people who learn a language to a high level acquire it mostly through using the language, which
involves self correction.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 29 of 31
29 December 2011 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
you make the other person's point of view to appear extreme so it is easy to argue with

...which is exactly what you did to me in your last post.

EDIT: I removed my response to this statement. I am through with this particular discussion.

Maybe we can all leave this little tangent behind and return to the question of the original post before the thread gets closed.

Edited by Jeffers on 29 December 2011 at 10:22pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 30 of 31
29 December 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

This is not true. I do myself, I've seen others do it, and I've read about it. A few bad experiences shouldn't make you come to
that conclusion.

You self-correct by attention -- exposure is not enough. That level of attention is hard to maintain outside of the classroom... but easy to maintain inside the classroom if you've got a good teacher.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 31 of 31
31 December 2011 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
When you said
Cainntear wrote:

I assumed you meant that people don't self-correct outside the classroom.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version