Australia
Joined 5640 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 1 of 9
22 December 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Hi everybody,

After thinking about where to post this thought of mine in recent days I couldn't go
past my favourite forum even though if this is not technically about learning foreign
languages.

Over the past few days I've been thinking about an apparent problem I face when
reading. I'm talking about reading comprehension in my own native language, English.
Around two years ago I made a conscious decision to read more widely with the goal to
improve my general knowledge. In this time I've probably read 80 books, daily and
weekly newspapers, articles and general rubbish on the internet/RSS feeds. Now I'm
trying to gauge how much this has helped me reach my goal of becoming a walking
encyclopaedia. I suspect not a whole lot. I'm thinking that part of the problem is
reading comprehension and recall.

My underlying question is a simple one. How much of a piece of writing are we supposed
to remember 2 days, 1 week, 3 months or a year after reading it? I often am concerned
with how little I am able to recall and this naturally raises the issue of how useful
all this reading business is.

Over the last few days I've read a number of articles which appeared in the Economist
and Time - of which have now reached the fuzzy recesses of my brain and almost feel
beyond retrieval. Here are two examples.

1. An article about frogs in India. I can't remember the name of the PhD that it
followed, the types of frogs they discussed, the name of the rainforest they explored
on India's west coast. What do I remember? There is a large diversity of frogs in India
and they've been under threat in recent years due to excessive logging. Was my
investment of time in the article worth the output, considering the absence of my
ability to recall some of this knowledge?

2. The 20th anniversary of Kazakhstan's independence. I can't remember the name
Kazakhstan's president (terrible) or really the underlying premise of the article. What
do I remember? Kazakhstan surprised central Asia and led the way with economic growth
through its exploitation of oil in the Caspian. I repeat my question, Was this worth
it? I don't know.

How much can we expect from ourselves when it comes to recall? I imagine that learning
many of the forgotten facts I referred to could be achieved by strengthening the memory
Anki-style, but I don't see how this can be practically achieved on a day-to-day basis
of consuming news.

It would be great to hear some thoughts on this. Has anyone else thought about this
when it comes to their own native language?

Cheers

Edited by Oasis88 on 22 December 2011 at 12:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6086 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 2 of 9
22 December 2011 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
The issues you're facing remembering the article are similar to problems in learning a foreign language. Regarding the frog article you're forgetting the new nouns you've encountered such as the name of the frogs, the rainforest and the author.

Similarly, the article on Kazakhstan has a new noun for the presidents name. If you'd never heard of the country you'd also have a hard time remembering where the event took place.

I'd lay a bet that if the article was about language learning you'd remember a lot. Aside from interest, which focuses are retention, your domain knowledge around languages means you don't have that much additional information to retain.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4894 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 3 of 9
22 December 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I don't think we can expect ourselves to remember too much - at the end of the day our
brain is similar to a hard-drive, it saves data - but the data does eventually become
corrupt and we lose it, or we simply have too much to retain.

But as DaraghM said, if you have a genuine interest in the article you are reading - you
will have a significant increase in retention, as you already know the facts, so your
brain can work optimally to retain it.

Edited by NickJS on 22 December 2011 at 4:13pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 9
22 December 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
There's a reason that a university education consists of more than reading. We have to start to apply new knowledge actively before it sticks.
3 persons have voted this message useful

B-Tina
Tetraglot
Germany
dragonsallaroun
Joined 5462 days ago

123 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Polish

Message 5 of 9
22 December 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I think the main reason for this is that you don't really work with the texts you read. (Which in turn may be due to your lack of interest.) There are some techniques (asking questions while reading etc.) which are explained in the book "How to read a book" by Adler/van Doren (Amazon link).
I found the techniques explained helpful; you'll need to invest more time for one text, but you'll (probably) retain far more from it.

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5895 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 6 of 9
22 December 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Your brain is doing you a favor by forgetting stuff you read only once that is of no particular interest to you. Your memory will surely be more robust concerning information you come across repeatedly or information that is of some interest to you. Perhaps the lesson of the story is to follow your interests when reading widely.

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4823 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 7 of 9
23 December 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
There have been psychological studies done on how we remember
things. It suggests that we tend to remember the first few pieces of
information and also the last few pieces given. A way of remembering
more is to think about the article once you've read it. Go through it all
and think of how the people mentioned must have felt, what they
would do next, what it means for the future etc. If you can put more
emotion and feeling into it and get a stronger connection to it, you
should be able to recall more. By creating more neural links from what
you're reading to your own personal life and feelings you should create
deeper memories.      
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6844 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 9
24 December 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Give me a few pages about something I like and I can give a summary of it. Give me a one-minute newscast about economy/politics and I won't be able to name even one person mentioned. Interesting things stick. Others don't.

It's a bit like the Woody Allen quote:
"I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version