Exercises for Reaching ILR 3+ / C1

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 3
22 December 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) trains American diplomats to go from zero to ILR 3+
(roughly equivalent to C1) level in German in less than one year. I was lucky to give
extra lessons to some of the recipients of this program. Here's what we did, and what
they will have to do in the exam, maybe someone wants to copy these exercises because
they seemed to be effective.

First, teacher and student should agree on a long list of topics beforehand. The FSI
uses social and cultural topics such as human rights, the environment, tourism, the
school system, military service, the role of technology/women/religion/family in
society, differences between rural and urban life, holidays and holiday traditions, the
labor market and finding a job, drug trafficking, nationalism and patriotism,
unemployment, immigration and integration, and so on.

Exercise 1: Student talks. The teacher gives a choice of 5 of the topics from the list,
the student picks one, has 5 minutes to prepare and then gives a short talk about it,
also answering questions at the end. The teacher doesn't interrupt except if invited;
corrections are discussed at the end.

Exercise 2: Interviews. The teacher gives a choice of 5 of the topics from the list,
the student picks one and then has to interview the teacher about it and to try to
understand what is said (taking notes). The teacher will keep talking until
interrupted, because this is also an exercise in controlling the flow of information,
the student is supposed to stop him before it becomes too much, or ask further
questions if anything was unclear. At the end, the student summarizes what he learned
in his native language, and the teacher will let him know if he misunderstood or forgot
anything important.

Exercise 3: Reading. The teacher suggests a newspaper article. The student gets enough
time to read it through twice and then has to summarize each paragraph, as well as
translate any sentences indicated by the teacher, to prove his ability to understand
most if not all of it.
6 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6086 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 2 of 3
23 December 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) trains American diplomats to go from zero to ILR 3+ (roughly equivalent to C1) level in German in less than one year. I was lucky to give extra lessons to some of the recipients of this program.

Did the pupils describe the current teaching methodology used on the course ? As far as I know, FSI have moved away from their pretty good language drills approach. Are they favouring the direct method now, with a heavy emphasis on the target language, or something else ?

Edited by DaraghM on 23 December 2011 at 10:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 3
23 December 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
We didn't talk about that because the lessons were focussed on what they need now; I'll
ask them when I get the chance.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version