Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 6
23 December 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
I have 2 exams in January I have to do. Biology and Chemistry. I do about 2 hours on each per day. Biology is morning, Chemistry is afternoon.

When I do Biology in the morning I listen to a Russian radio station where they dont play music. They talk about the news mainly and have discussions and sometimes debates. I like it because it only involves talking and a few adverts.

I do a similar thing with Chemistry and Spanish.

I was wondering if this was actually useful or helpful in any way? Ill continue to do it regardless because I like to listen to the languages but I was curious as to whether it would help me in any way.

Im not concentrating on it, Im concentrating on my subject.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kevin Hsu
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4672 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 2 of 6
23 December 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
In my experience of listening to native conversations, I found that if I concentrated on
the conversation I can pick up a lot more than expected(and more if I could replay it). I
can't really help you because I don't have experience with listening passively but I
think it can help with your accent and your listening comprehension ability because your
ears will get used to sounds of your TL.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5064 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 6
23 December 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
yaboycon wrote:

I was wondering if this was actually useful or helpful in any way? Ill continue to do it regardless because I like to listen to the languages but I was curious as to whether it would help me in any way.

I'll turn the question around. Have you found it helpful?

Do you remember anything about what you're hearing? Do any words jump out at you when you're listening and and you think "Hmm... I should look up that word" or "Hey, that's an interesting topic. I'm going to try and find some more information on it in Russian/Spanish".

The listening may be passive, but if it isn't causing any sort of curiosity in you, it's probably not really helping, IMO.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 23 December 2011 at 8:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

yaboycon
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes

Message 4 of 6
23 December 2011 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
yaboycon wrote:

I'll turn the question around. Have you found it helpful?

Do you remember anything about what you're hearing? Do any words jump out at you when you're listening and and you think "Hmm... I should look up that word" or "Hey, that's an interesting topic. I'm going to try and find some more information on it in Russian/Spanish".

The listening may be passive, but if it isn't causing any sort of curiosity in you, it's probably not really helping, IMO.

R.
==

Well I havent been doing it for long that is why I have asked. I dip in and out of listening properly. Its like when you study and listen to music. A whole song can go by without realising and then you start to notice a song after.

Any words or phrases I do understand I recognise and they stand out to me.

I havent looked anything up in a dictionary. I thought that it might help me get more familiar with the sound of the language. The problem for me is that my Russian isn't amazing and these guys are talking about politics and when the lady reads the news she does it insanely fast.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4799 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 6
23 December 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I find that if I understand nothing of what I am listening to, then it's worthless.

If I understand everything I hear, then I'm not listening to learn, I'm just listening for enjoyment (or because it's an informative show).

Between those two extremes, I find that if I start out by understanding about a third to two thirds of what I'm hearing, then the more I listen, the better I get at understanding. In other words, it's like climbing a mountain; I need something to get a toe-hold on before I can climb up to the next level.

It's especially useful if I'm listening to a recording (CD or MP3) where I can back up a little and repeat a section to catch the word or words that I missed. Each time through my understanding becomes clearer.

yaboycon
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes

Message 6 of 6
24 December 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
I find that if I understand nothing of what I am listening to, then it's worthless.

If I understand everything I hear, then I'm not listening to learn, I'm just listening for enjoyment (or because it's an informative show).

Between those two extremes, I find that if I start out by understanding about a third to two thirds of what I'm hearing, then the more I listen, the better I get at understanding. In other words, it's like climbing a mountain; I need something to get a toe-hold on before I can climb up to the next level.

It's especially useful if I'm listening to a recording (CD or MP3) where I can back up a little and repeat a section to catch the word or words that I missed. Each time through my understanding becomes clearer.

Well I dont know if Ill be able to tell if it works or not but my exam is near the end of January and it is doing no harm so Ill keep on doing it. Hopefully Ill understand some more by then anyway from my own study. Im just trying to make my time a bit more efficient. If it helps just a little bit then it will be worth it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version