United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4980 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 13
24 December 2011 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
I'm a beginning German student. I don't have enough vocab or practice yet to understand full-speed native content, although I can guess the gist of slowly-spoken native content (eg, "Langsam Gesprochen Nachrichten" from the excellent Deutche Welle site).

My question is, how useful is it to my learning if I listen to full-speed audio content while simultaneously reading a transcript of it? On the one hand, it feels like it's helpful to train my ear. On the other hand, it feels like cheating to be reading along at the same time.

What do you, more experienced/successful polyglots, think about this technique? (Of course, it's not the only thing I'm doing to improve; I don't think it would help much in isolation. ;))
1 person has voted this message useful

yaboycon
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 2 of 13
24 December 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Arthaey wrote:
I'm a beginning German student. I don't have enough vocab or practice yet to understand full-speed native content, although I can guess the gist of slowly-spoken native content (eg, "Langsam Gesprochen Nachrichten" from the excellent Deutche Welle site).

My question is, how useful is it to my learning if I listen to full-speed audio content while simultaneously reading a transcript of it? On the one hand, it feels like it's helpful to train my ear. On the other hand, it feels like cheating to be reading along at the same time.

What do you, more experienced/successful polyglots, think about this technique? (Of course, it's not the only thing I'm doing to improve; I don't think it would help much in isolation. ;))

pretty sure there is a method called the "listen - Read" method. I think the basic idea is listening to something, reading it while also having the translation of the script.

I don't know too much about it. I would advise doing a "g-search" on this site for "listen reading method" or "L-R Method". You can also just type it into google to find out more.

You can also just wait for someone more helpful and knowledgable to respond :)

nunoxic
Triglot
India
Joined 4669 days ago

17 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English, Hindi, Marathi*

Message 3 of 13
24 December 2011 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I think they do. My opinion is true for both types of alphabets: One with familiar
alphabets (French, German, Italian) and another with unfamiliar (Simplified Chinese,
Japanese, Hindi, Cyrillic). Assuming that you someday also wish to be able to read, it
helps immensely how to spell words (more so when there are many similar sounding words
that you hear). Plus, although not scientifically proven, learning is always done better
when more senses are involved. So, if you can see while listening, its helpful. Plus, it
helps recollection. Take two hindi words for instance:
Kaash (How I wish....)
Kaach (Glass)
For people not accustomed to the sh and ch sounds, they sound very similar.
All in all, I see no reason why one should NOT consider transcripts while listening.
There are practically no cons (Only that you can't study while walking, driving etc.)

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4822 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 4 of 13
24 December 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a successful polyglot, far from it lol, but I think it can be a very useful tool to have the transcript also. If you can take a paragraph or two of speech where you can't make out all the words at full speed, after you've listened to it a few times whilst reading along (and also maybe just reading without the speech), if you listen to it again without the text, you should be able to isolate more words than before. Once you get used to hearing the words at normal speed and amoungst other words, you should be able to pick them out more easily when you come accross them in other speech.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5700 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 13
24 December 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Yes, as long as you pay attention to what you're actually doing there, and change your approach once your progress slows down. There are many ways you can use audio content, most of which have been discussed on here. The only 'method' you shouldn't put your faith in is playing the audio in the background or when asleep. Otherwise, play around with what you've got. I personally would invest 30-60 minutes daily for listening comprehension until it's not too much of a challenge anymore. Activities I do: Listen, Listen and repeat, Listen pause and repeat, Transcribe, Listen to slowed down audio, Listen to sped up audio, Read transcript and then listen, Read transcript while listening, Listen and read then transcript, Listen for particular words, Listen for particular sounds, Listen jot down the gist and then re-listen. I also switch between listening to the same piece repeatedly and listening to a longer source, like an audiobook.

Edited by Bao on 24 December 2011 at 6:56pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4980 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 13
30 December 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Looks like I don't have any cause to not read while listening, then. Thanks everyone!

I just happened to come across this article from the Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching: Theory and Pedagogy of Reading While Listening: Phonological Recoding for L2 Reading Development. The abstract says they saw a statistically significant improvement in L2 ability for reading while listening (as opposed to the silent-reading control group).
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 13
31 December 2011 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
Arthaey wrote:
Looks like I don't have any cause to not read while listening, then.
um well to understand the spoken language without a transcript you do need to listen without reading. try not to get too dependent on them. if you listen several times, try for example using them only the second (third...) time you listen to a text. or also try to find the words you understand without listening to them, and then listen again without looking at the transcripts.

you may want to try GLOSS http://gloss.dliflc.edu/Default.aspx or other sites with audio and exercises:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 8 of 13
01 January 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Eventually you will have to do without them, but they are useful for learning (like subtitles).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version