fiziwig
United States
Joined 4799 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 13
01 January 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
I got a Spanish audio book of Peter Pan from Amazon, but I was having trouble following some of the passages. I just couldn't make out some of the words because they were spoken too fast and run too close together. I couldn't find a transcript in Spanish, but I did find the whole book, in English, on Gutenberg.

Surprisingly, listening to the Spanish while skimming the English text helped me a lot to understand those difficult passages. That way I wasn't getting word for word what the Spoken Spanish was saying, but I was getting enough of a hint from the English to figure out for myself what the Spanish audio was saying.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 13
02 January 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
Surprisingly, listening to the Spanish while skimming the English text helped me a lot to understand those difficult passages.
This is called Listening-Reading:)

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4799 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 13
02 January 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
fiziwig wrote:
Surprisingly, listening to the Spanish while skimming the English text helped me a lot to understand those difficult passages.

I've done LOADS of listening-reading in Spanish with Spanish transcripts from Albalearning.com. I don't think using an English text while listening to a Spanish translation is quite the same thing at all. It's a whole different mental process.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 13
04 January 2012 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
Serpent wrote:
fiziwig wrote:

I've done LOADS of listening-reading in Spanish with Spanish transcripts from Albalearning.com. I don't think using an English text while listening to a Spanish translation is quite the same thing at all. It's a whole different mental process.
exactly, Listening-Reading is listening to your L2 while reading in your native language. see this and search the forum for Listening-Reading if you want to know more:)
I agree that reading the transcript is usually less effective, unless you already read well and have problems with listening comprehension. But there's still going to be something you don't understand even while reading, so that's why the translation is useful. It also prevents getting too dependent on having a transcript of what you're listening to.

Sterling
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4642 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, German

Message 13 of 13
04 January 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Actually, that's how I started teaching myself German. I didn't have any German friends
or anyone to talk to. Music was my only source. At first, I started listening to it on
my MP3 and trying to sing along whenever I went for a walk or something. I'm no expert
but I'm sure that helps train your ears and your speech, just as a baby learns.

Eventually, I started looking up the lyrics too and listening to it while reading
along. That helped me decipher words from one another. At first, it was hard to tell
where one word ended and one began. It also helped me recognize written words and
helped me coordinate speech with text.

Eventually, you won't need it but I can't see anything bad about it. It really helps at
first.

I know how hard it can be to find German music in the USA and that's why I started off
listening to Rammstein, even though it's not exactly my kind of music.

If you listen to them (even if you're not a fan), this site might help:
http://herzeleid.com/en/lyrics

That has almost all the Rammstein lyrics in German and in English. You can print them
and carry them along.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version