Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4944 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 14
26 December 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
So far, my experience with tutors wasn't that exciting. I had a tutor for one year. I was fourteen years old but well motivated. I didn't know much about how to study by myself and how to study at all so I could have used a lot of advice in that and I would have accepted a lot more than I was offered. The tutor was not bad but now that I think of it, the school system of tests, levels and evaluation is not meant to motivate students but to motivate the teachers. My tutor wasn't sure what to do with me, advised me to buy a textbook to complete just two units of it. She wasn't pushed to lead me faster and to get to more exciting things than the everlasting "passé composé or imparfait" question. And as most teachers both at schools and outside of them, she spent a lot of time on things I could have easily done by myself, so there wasn't enough time for speaking.

But I believe there are many good tutors as well. But you need to look for them and to tell them quite exactly what do you expect and want. I wasn't capable of that when I was fourteen but I won't make the same mistake again. If you don't make it, than I think your chances to get fluent with a tutor are really not bad.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kevinbac
United States
Joined 4653 days ago

1 posts - 3 votes
Studies: English*, German

Message 10 of 14
26 December 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I teach English at a university in Asia and have tutored students privately. These are students who are majoring in English, though their English needs much work. During private lessons, I like to have conversations with them about whatever topic comes up. We work on grammar as needed. This gives the student the opportunity to practice English and think on their feet at the same time. Books and tapes do not give you this kind of practice or flexibility.

I realize this does not answer your question, but if you are thinking about using a tutor, this is something to think about.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 11 of 14
26 December 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
I believe that a good tutor is a great way to make quick progress. But you have to keep in mind that learning with a tutor can only work if the learner is willing to put in a lot of work. The wonderful thing about having a tutor is that you have a resource at your exclusive disposal. What is the alternative? Floundering by yourself? Working in a group?
My own experience is that having a live person answer all my questions, correct my mistakes, do dialogues with, model my pronunciation and give culture pointers is a godsend. This is a no-brainer. Everybody should have a tutor. I think the real debate should be how to best work with a tutor.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5817 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 12 of 14
27 December 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
My own experience is that having a live person answer all my questions, correct my mistakes, do dialogues with, model my pronunciation and give culture pointers is a godsend. This is a no-brainer. Everybody should have a tutor. I think the real debate should be how to best work with a tutor.

Agreed.

I had two tutors for English and one for French. In all cases, they were very helpful, and I cannot blame them for my imperfect knowledge of these languages.

Actually, I'll try to find a good tutor for German very soon.

Of course, as in every subject, you must go by yourself in order to really improve, most of the time and most the trip.
2 persons have voted this message useful

birthdaysuit
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4752 days ago

48 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 13 of 14
30 December 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Just a few observations...

I think that the thing that separates the great teachers from good teachers is: Good
teachers teach, great ones inspire.

All those of us who have tried our hand at learning on our own know that staying
motivated to complete the course is challenging enough. Good teachers teach grammar and
vocabulary but great teachers teach much more. They teach something that one can't
really put one's finger on. Their passion for their subject is catching. They motivate
us to challenge ourselves and set higher targets.

I like your thinking; you've basically described all of us self-teachers (who stick
with it) as great teachers! :-)   
2 persons have voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5174 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 14
04 January 2012 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
I had 2 summer courses of French after I finished college ... couldn't study any foreign language in my major, so
before I started into the "real world," I indulged in French and loved it. After that, getting to the tutor part, I joined
a small adult group with a native speaker, then later switched to private lessons with her. That's really how I
learned French. It took several years, as I was able to apply myself more at some times than others, but she
was available for conversation, to answer grammar questions, to help me read novels, etc. Later, when I "studied"
French for credit, I realized just how much I'd learned with her. Although I probably learned to write better in class,
the speaking practice I got with her was invaluable. I'm just sorry that I haven't had this experience in Spanish. So,
although I didn't do "start to finish" with her, she & my own work, knowing what I wanted to accomplish and what I
was weak in, made me into a competent French speaker. Plus, after a while, she liked working with me so much
that she stopped charging! Good teachers like good students ...

Edited by wv girl on 04 January 2012 at 3:34am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version