India
Joined 4951 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 13
30 December 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Sorry for any, unintended, offense to any member who isn't a fluent English speaker.

That was a low blow, if ever there was one. :-)

iguanamon wrote:
No, you don't have to be fluent in English to post here- but the more clearly you can express yourself and what you want to know, it will help you to get more relevant responses to your queries, and conversely, it also helps to be able to more fully ...

Your obvious fluency in English allows you to magically stretch sentences into paragraphs. Hurray!

iguanamon wrote:

... but do we really 100% know what the op's question ...

I smell a rat. A non-standard usage perhaps?

iguanmon wrote:
...I am not intending...

Are you sure that you are fluent?

I'm a proud non-native speaker of English. I don't know if I am fluent; neither do I claim to be.
Maybe what you write is the epitome of Standard International English. (I, however, detect traces of creole in your voluminous literary output.)

iguanmon wrote:

Caneta, ... obviously, you are not fluent in English

You may be fluent but does that grant you the right to "talk down", as it were, to the OP?

In my experience I have found that it never hurts to be polite.

The OP didn't ask us what we thought of his English, did he?

If you were unable to "100% understand" the OP, you could have asked for a clarification.

I see no point in continuing this discussion any further.

You have my most sincere apologies.

Napoleon

Edited by napoleon on 30 December 2011 at 8:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5197 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 10 of 13
30 December 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
...I see no point in continuing this discussion any further. You have my most sincere apologies.

Napoleon

You asked me to state the relevance. I did. I also see no reason to discuss this further or answer your personal attacks. I wish you peace, and a Happy New Year.

Edited by iguanamon on 30 December 2011 at 10:07pm

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4951 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 13
30 December 2011 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
napoleon wrote:
...I see no point in continuing this discussion any further. You have my most sincere apologies.

Napoleon

You asked me to state the relevance. I did. I also see no reason to discuss this further or answer your personal attacks. I wish you peace, and a Happy New Year.

"Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged"

Telling the OP to his face that he was obviously not fluent in English was not a very nice thing to do. The OP could probably have been informed more politely.

I did not attack you. I merely dissected your post and tried to point out that even a fluent speaker such as yourself may make mistakes. As the famous saying goes: "To err is human..."

My point is this: We all make mistakes.

No matter. Let us not quibble over such trivial issues when we have a world of languages to conquer. :-)

Peace. And A Happy New Year to you too.

Napoleon

Edited by napoleon on 31 December 2011 at 6:14am

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 12 of 13
31 December 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Hello Caneta,

Caneta wrote:

how can I constroy my thoughts and think in?

My opinion is that there really is no "how" when it comes thinking in your target language. I know it's a big goal for many of us, but as long as we do things (like reading) that nurture it, it eventually takes care of itself anyway. In my own case it took between 12 and 18 months before I could think in Spanish - but it only happened once I stopped trying to think in Spanish and started simply enjoying the books, etc.   

As for the books you read, I don't think it matters what they are as long as they interest you. That's why I started off with translations of books that I like in English, rather than graded readers and children's books.   

Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your language journey! :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Caneta
Brazil
Joined 4649 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 13 of 13
31 December 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the tips. Happy 2012 for everyone!!!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version