Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6435 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 18
04 January 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
In general I've just switched all of my single player games that support my L2 into that language. They aren't all fountains of input but it's something. Multiplayer games I switch once I'm already familiar with them. Starting them in L2 still gets me in trouble :p.

I'll second point and click adventure games in particular as a good choice for the same reasons Cainntear gave.

RPGs can also be good, most of them will let you repeat the same conversation options again and again so you can hear/read them multiple times.

Different games get translated into different languages, I wouldn't say that they get translated into the "major languages" (however you define that). It's pretty all over the show. You'll just have to see what you can get in your target language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 18
04 January 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I have played Runescape in French. There's no voice, but a lot of text, and of course players to chat with. The hard part was when I had to copy emotes from a mime at one point (what's the French for "lean on air" or "climb a rope"?) Anything you point at will have a name in French, and if you right click and examine it, there will be a description as well. Some of the quests and monsters are voiced, but I have no idea if they have translated versions for these.

Runescape can also be played in German and Portuguese (Brazilian).

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4893 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 11 of 18
04 January 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if the games themselves are in the language - but EVE online and
Battlefield 3 are pretty good for Russian. I see lots and lots of chat in Russian when
I'm playing online in Battlefield 3 and EVE apparently has a very large player base.

Other languages like Japanese - there's always the RPGs such as Final Fantasy and for
Chinese I saw a browser based language learning game a while back. I guess for
languages such as German/French there are plenty of games, as there are usually
translations of those games.

Additionally for games such as World of Warcraft - where each language usually has
their own servers (Chinese, Spanish, German, French, Russian, Korean etc) so you can
pretty much just log on to those servers and try that for supplementing your learning,
however I think you have to purchase that region of the game to have access to those
servers. Still even on the English speaking servers you often see Norwegian, Dutch,
Swedish - at least in the European region.

In addition to what I have already mentioned, you could also try ordering the games
from the target languages country.

allalla
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 5560 days ago

5 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 18
11 January 2012 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
If you google Emuparadise ScummVM, you'll find a website that hosts many oldschool point-
and-click adventure games by Sierra and LucasArts translated into German, Spanish,
Italian and some other languages (depends on a game). You'll need ScummVM emulator to
play them on most modern systems: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

Enjoy!

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 13 of 18
11 January 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
A word of warning here.

Back in the day, computer games (especially the text/dialog-heavy variants) were an excellent language learning tool. I'm not so sure this holds as true nowadays.

Most gamers are not primarily concerned about quality translations, and this shows in the market. In particular, I know a guy who works as a translator and his company has been responsible of some real botch-ups when translating games ('Oblivion' comes to mind), to the point that some other people I know tried it and bought it in the original version -- these translations have become a running joke over the years BTW. The guy's and the company's ethics seem to boil down to 'if an angry mob is not coming for us we don't give a shit about it' so I wouldn't be surprised if this has become even more commonplace than I dread.

In short, in relation to language learning and if you're serious about it, I'd go only for original version games or translations checked by someone who is at least a bit demanding.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4758 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 14 of 18
22 January 2012 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Apparently The Sims 2 can be used to learn languages (certain languages...). I also found a really amazing little
online game to learn Mandarin, Enter Zon (http://enterzon.com/) which I don't
play because it's only on the net and I don't have it at home, but I tried it. I don't know about russian, but I found
quite a few free old nes and snes games in polish and I've been playing them successfully, especially RPGS like Final
Fantasy and Chrono Trigger which are text heavy. You can do a search for nes/snes roms and find out.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4893 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 15 of 18
22 January 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Homogenik wrote:
Apparently The Sims 2 can be used to learn languages (certain languages...). I also found a really amazing little
online game to learn Mandarin, Enter Zon (http://enterzon.com/) which I don't
play because it's only on the net and I don't have it at home, but I tried it. I don't know about russian, but I found
quite a few free old nes and snes games in polish and I've been playing them successfully, especially RPGS like Final
Fantasy and Chrono Trigger which are text heavy. You can do a search for nes/snes roms and find out.

Enter Zon is the one I was trying to remember, Its been bugging me for ages trying to remember that haha! Defintely worth checking it out though.

Edited by NickJS on 22 January 2012 at 4:20am

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5337 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 16 of 18
24 January 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
I'm also looking for a game to get more exposure in TL, since I spend a lot of time
playing games. So, any PC games that came out before 2005 (old computer) in Japanese? :-D

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version