United States
Joined 4980 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 9 of 17
06 January 2012 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
How the .. can you learn a language where half the words are used just ONCE???

Following a joke that I first heard in a TED video of Sir Ken Robinson, "If a man speaks his mind in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

So,

If a man speaks a word in a forest, and the word is never repeated again, is it a word?

I don't know, but here (private language argument) is a good start.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4843 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 17
06 January 2012 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I thought I was going to study languages this evening, but Jeffers made me study linguistics instead!

I haven't read the whole book yet (and somehow I fear that the authors forgot to describe three column wordlists with groups of 5 to 7 words and repetition the day after, which makes the whole thing rather pointless). But I have read enough to believe that it can teach me a thing or two which I have overlooked during my own word counting episodes. And at page 7 I learned a word (or rather a word combination which deserves to be considered a lexeme in its own right): Hapax Legomena !! And there is one funny thing: as long as I don't repeat it here at HTLAL it is an example of itself, hehe (it means a word that only occurs once in a given corpus). And a peculiar detail about Greek (p. 67): the frequency of the-thing-which-name-for-obvious-reasons-shall-not-be-repeat ed-here in the Greek Hellenic National Corpus is 49,4 %, against a mere 30 % Carroll et al.’s (1971) corpus of English. How the .. can you learn a language where half the words are used just ONCE???

Hapax Legomena is something I am quite familiar with, so I was surprised to read that it's not used on HTLAL. For those who haven't worked it out, it is Greek and means something like "things said once". It is used a lot in Biblical studies, because when a word is a hapax legomenon, it becomes difficult to understand its exact sense by synchronic (contemporary) means rather than the less relevant diachronic means (e.g. etymology). It is, of course, more used for dead languages with a limited corpus.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5405 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Studies: French

Message 11 of 17
06 January 2012 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I'm not surprised that repetition of the same material is more effective for vocabulary acquisition than superficial exposure to a wide range of material.

And this is something that children do naturally, wanting to hear the same bedtime story or watch the same video over and over until they drive their parents crazy. Children have some innate advantages over adult learners but this is one that adults could share but often choose not too. I have met many language learners that just have no interest in watching the same movie more than once or listening to an audio book twice.

Edited by microsnout on 06 January 2012 at 7:46pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5364 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 12 of 17
06 January 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
microsnout wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I'm not surprised that repetition of the same material is more effective for vocabulary acquisition than superficial exposure to a wide range of material.

And this is something that children do naturally, wanting to hear the same bedtime story or watch the same video over and over until they drive their parents crazy. Children have some innate advantages over adult learners but this is one that adults could share but often choose not too. I have met many language learners that just have no interest in watching the same movie more than once or listening to an audio book twice.

Continuing on the same vein, I would add that I have noticed that even after listening to some material quite a few times I still get new insights. It may be a word, a point of grammar or just an idiom. I literally hear things that I hadn't heard previously. Of course, there's a point of diminishing returns but I find it quite interesting to listen to (Spanish) recordings to the point where I can begin to recite some of the dialog by heart at near-native speed.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5945 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 17
07 January 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
But then there is the question of literal repetition vs varied repetition.

If I watch a film 3 times over, I've heard exactly the same stuff. But if I watch a full TV series, I'm listening to the same characters, scripted by the same writers, talk about the same thing in a few different ways.

I personally feel (and my perception may be wrong) that a series does me a huge amount more good than the equivalent length of feature films.
6 persons have voted this message useful

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5405 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 

Message 14 of 17
07 January 2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
But if I watch a full TV series, I'm listening to the same characters, scripted by the same writers,
talk about the same thing in a few different ways.

I agree. I like TV series better right now but more for listening comprehension than vocabulary building and I listen
to the series multiple times so I get both kinds of repetition.   The knowledge of the characters personalities and the
continuing plot themes provides a higher level context that helps comprehension in a way that movies cannot.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5364 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 17
08 January 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I don't think that it's really a question of TV series over movies but more a question of the right material and the right amount of repetition. For example, watching a cooking show can be very effective for a certain kind of vocabulary and the use of the imperative mode. A radio interview can be useful for learning the language of narration and explanation. TV dramas and soap operas are wonderful for everyday dialogs.

I certainly would not argue against watching as much varied material as possible. On the other hand, there is something to be said for concentrating, where it is judged useful, on in-depth study of certain samples. Does that mean listening to a 2-minute segment 25 times? Why not?
2 persons have voted this message useful

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5405 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 

Message 16 of 17
08 January 2012 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Watching a cooking show may well provide the benefits you list, I have learned a lot of vocabulary from the show
'Ricardo' but it would bore me to death to watch an episode repeatedly so I would just move on to the next and if
something is important it will come up again.   Real repetition (of a movie or series) requires material that you really
enjoy even if it were in your native language. With enough repetition it does more than build passive vocab, it
creates active vocabulary - like for example the way "Trekkies" who have seen original Star Trek episodes more
times than they can count can reproduce contextually relevant lines when cued.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version