Triglot
Canada
Joined 5364 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 17
09 January 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I would certainly not recommend watching a whole episode of anything repeatedly although it probably does not do much harm. What I think is more useful is to work with selected short excerpts. The danger, if I may call it that, of watching multiple episodes of TV shows is that you get caught up with the story and pay less attention to the language. Mind you, this can be very interesting and entertaining but not necessarily the most efficient use of one's time.

As I mentioned, what I find very effective is to work with short clips that highlight a particular aspect of the language. For example, in Spanish I've recorded a few telephone conversations lasting 1-2 minutes, a business meeting lasting 10 minutes and various examples of certain grammatical or discourse features that I find interesting.

The idea of repetition is not to sit down and listen to any of these things 25 times in a row. It's more like listening a couple of times every day over a week or two while paying close attention to what is being said and then trying where possible to "shadow" the recording.

The interesting part in all of this is how things you have listened to many times can be heard in a new light, as it were, as your knowledge of your language increases. This is particularly true with idioms that suddenly seem to come alive whereas before you simply glossed over them. And, above all, you start to assimilate the phrasing of the language and how entire conversations are put together. And of course you can go back and forth between enjoying the entire series and concentrating on certain details.

Edited by s_allard on 09 January 2012 at 7:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version