Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 8
12 January 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
I've found a great set of sentences in Cantonese. They are common sentences that are said in a way different from how they would be said in Mandarin. Usually, saying them in the Mandarin way would be "also correct", but might not sound as idiomatic. I want to use these sentences to improve my Cantonese.

Now, when I read these sentences, I understand what they mean. There aren't really any new words and very few new grammatical constructions. So using them in the AJATT way (adding them L2->L1 in Anki) would just lead to me scoring full points on comprehension and them swooshing off to "review once per year" territory. So what can I do with them?

I can of course memorise them as L1->L2, but that'll be a lot of work, so I thought I'd see if you guys have any ideas first.

(By the way, if you're a Canto learner, here are the sentences. Click on any sentence to see a transcription in some weird romanization, a link to a sound file, as well as a translation into Mandarin.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 8
12 January 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
You don't have to mark it as "very easy" all the time. Just check your leech threshold settings to make sure these cards don't get suspended.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 3 of 8
12 January 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You don't have to mark it as "very easy" all the time. Just check your leech threshold settings to make sure these cards don't get suspended.

True, but this will mean simply that I'm going to look at these sentences from time to time. Is that enough?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
12 January 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Maybe ask yourself 'in which situation would I use this sentence?' and rate the sentence based on how well you understand it as well as how easily you can come up with a scenario? I have no idea if this might improve recall abilities anymore than just rating by comprehension though.

Edited by Bao on 12 January 2012 at 7:58am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 8
12 January 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
How about turning them into fill-in-the-blanks exercises? I think the option in Anki is marked "cloze deletion" or something like that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 6 of 8
12 January 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
How about turning them into fill-in-the-blanks exercises? I think the option in Anki is marked "cloze deletion" or something like that.

That's a pretty good idea. I believe "cloze deletion" is a feature of SuperMemo, not Anki, but you can easily do it manually, anyway. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out and see how I feel about it.

rapp
United States
Joined 5666 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 7 of 8
12 January 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Anki can definitely do cloze deletions. I use them frequently in my decks.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 8
13 January 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Sounds like these sentences are more colloquial ways of saying some common things. In my mind, that's something
like an idiom. So you might want to learn them the same way you'd learn idioms. For me, that means L1 to L2 as a
first step. Sorry, I'm not much of a help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version