JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4635 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 26
15 January 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Hello and Thanks for your reply.

I wondering, have you Imported and stacks on Anki or are you starting with none and just adding your own as you learn new words?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 26
15 January 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
I think the question of importing vs. creating your own depends on the materials you're
using to learn Chinese. See if there's a ready-made list for your textbook / course, if
it exists, import it, otherwise create a deck yourself. Those huge decks with HSK
lists, frequency lists and the like don't do a beginner much good; they're for
perfecting what you know, not learning from scratch.

There's a series of videos explaining everything about how to use Anki on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anki

To add sound when you're making a new card, just click the loudspeaker icon (3rd from
the right). Alternatively, the Mandarin Toolkit plugin can generate sound files for
you, with a computer voice.

NOTE: as languages go, Chinese is hard and it will take a long time before you'll be
fluent, able to understand TV shows and the like. I personally would choose something
simpler for a first foreign language, so that you have some idea of language-learning
and know what you're aiming for.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 January 2012 at 1:24pm

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4635 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 11 of 26
15 January 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Yes I have just watched them video's just before my last post but thank you.
They have helped clear a few things up.

I appreciate that learning Chinese Is going to be hard and Is not going to happen over night but This Is something I have always wanted to do but I have just finally took that first step.

I think Adding the new words from scrath and working with what I am learning at that time might be the best way so that I'm not getting lot's of different vocab to remember.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6555 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 12 of 26
15 January 2012 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Sprachprofi that if there is a deck made from the same textbook you are using, it can save you a lot of time and effort to just import it. But in other cases, I usually find other peoples' decks worthless. I find it very hard to remember anything that is not particularly interesting to me. So I like to find articles and things on the net on subjects that I am very interested in and take my sentences from there. It might mean that some vocabulary is rather specialized, but there are still a lot of everyday words there that will be very useful.

In general, I would say to try to stick to short sentences or phrases as long ones become very frustrating and tiresome. Of course, the sentences should be long enough to give you a context and to be fairly unambiguous. Also try not to have too many new vocabulary words in each sentence.

I study Japanese at the moment and I always make two cards for each sentence. I make one card where the question is the sentence written in the normal way with kanji and the answer gives both the pronunciation and the meaning. On the other card, the question is the sentence written in hiragana (the pronunciation) and I have to write it correctly with the correct kanji. This is so i can learn to write properly, but i also find that I recognize the kanji more easily if I also can write them.

When I learn Chinese I will do it the same way. One card with hanzi on the front and pinyin on the back so that I can check my pronunciation. And the other card with pinyin on the front and hanzi on the back so I can check my writing.

You can set Anki to make both cards at the same time so you only have to input each sentence once. In the upper right hand corner is a button where you can choose recognition or recall. Just set it for both.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 15 January 2012 at 2:05pm

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4635 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 13 of 26
15 January 2012 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your Info and good Ideas. Do you add audio to your cards? If so where do you get your audio from?

Do you need a special program for me to write in Hanzi?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6555 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 14 of 26
15 January 2012 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
If you use windows, you can look on their website for an explanation of how to set up you computer to write in different languages. It's very, very easy.

I did have some decks where I added audio, but most of the materials I use don't have audio. When I did use audio, I found some free audiobooks on the net (old material that is no longer copyrighted) and clipped out each sentence using mp3directcut, I think it was. There are lots of programs you can use to cut sound files, however I found it very difficult with poor quality recordings, so it's best to look for higher quality. I don't know where you can find this kind of material in Chinese, but there might be some information on this site somewhere if you search. Otherwise you can try asking if anyone knows where you can find it, or simply try searching the net yourself.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4635 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 15 of 26
15 January 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Once again thank you very much.

I will look on windows and see If I can find It. I will also look Into the other things you have mentioned, thanks.

All the best with Japanesse.

Insomniac
United Kingdom
Joined 4742 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 16 of 26
24 January 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Anki is a great idea but it does have bugs in it. You can potentially lose a lot of hard
work, and doing a quick search it seems a lot of people have been affected by these
glitches, especially if you sync with your mobile device.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version