Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6516 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 17 of 22
15 January 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Personally I prefer concentrating on only one method at a time. Others are at most supplementary. Usually I don't even look at other courses. When I find something gets boring, I drop it and if I'm still into the language, I try to find
another course.

If you're using ChinesePod, you might find some use for my ChinesePod method.

Edited by Ari on 15 January 2012 at 8:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 22
15 January 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
The main problem with most methods/courses is that they overemphasize one aspect of language learning over the others. This is often a reaction to that aspect not being given sufficient focus (to the producer's taste) in other courses, which should best be addressed by adding that focus instead of replacing what works somewhere else. But I digress.

Unless your language needs are really biased (for example, in dire need to speak and no interest in reading) you want to keep a natural balance between aural/written, grammar/vocabulary, etc. Since the perfect method isn't here yet, that means using at least two courses/methods. This may seem distracting but it need not be if you can find materials with similar contents, as the different approaches will complement each other.

This should be helpful to learn any language and not just Mandarin. With such a complex writing system, though, it's probably a good idea to stay a bit heavy on the reading side. But again, balance according to your needs.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5893 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 22
15 January 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:
I am looking for a site where I can find the words/phrases for what I learn on Pimsleur so I can add them on Anki. I am trying to find them with their characters and audio aswel so I have them all as I learn.

Check out http://www.nciku.com/. The Nciku site is oriented toward simplified and also takes traditional characters. Also take a look at http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/chinese-dictionary.php .

Good luck!

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 20 of 22
15 January 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Ari, I looked at that earlier and Its helped me with Anki. Thank you.

mrwarper thanks for your post and yeah I am Interested In all aspects of the language so I am trying to find a suitable balance between them.

Thanks aswel Snowflake, I have bookmarked them both for future.

All the best to you all.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 21 of 22
17 January 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I always put audio if possible, in both ANKI and BYKI. ANKI already has several pre-made decks containing Japanese dubbed audio (the Core sets for example contain links to packs of audio you can them import).

If you look at how to use Rikaisama (a special version of Rikaichan/kun made by a member of the forums over at kanji.koohii.com), you'll be able to find a function to download audio files for each individual word you hover your mouse over, on key press. That's awesome, too, because you can internalize the intonation along with pronunciation, kanji and the word itself.

P.S.: Don't bother with Pimsleur word lists. All they use is so common, you'll find it all over the place again. Pimsleur is designed to teach you those words anyways, if you patiently do the course as intended (1 lesson each day, at roughly the same time).

Edited by atama warui on 17 January 2012 at 5:06pm

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 22
17 January 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Thank you atama warui I will check It out and hopefully start adding audio to my word list. Thakfully I have not got a huge word list yet as I am adding them In as I come across a new one so If I can work this then It should'nt take me too long.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version