Tags: Writing | Pimsleur
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
frageelee
United States
Joined 4629 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 2
18 January 2012 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
So if the pimsleur approach focuses around the spoken language, does that mean it leaves you functionally
illiterate? I am not saying that is a bad thing, that is the order in which I learned English, but French is a wacky
language to my eyes. When I saw for the first time that "Comment allez-vous" was spelled the way it was, I started
wondering if reading and writing would serve as a problem. And before you say anything, I do understand I only
think its crazy spelling because I don't speak it natively (I am aware "tomb" does not sound like "bomb"), but even if
I were a frenchman learning English, my questions would be the same. So my questions to you are this:

Does the spoken-only approach serve as a plus or minus for learning the french language?
and
What is the best way to transition from illiteracy to literacy after the program?

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5196 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 2
18 January 2012 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur shouldn't be used as a stand-alone program in my opinion. I feel that it works best when combined with another method that teaches, grammar and the written language. Pimsleur is good to train pronunciation and beginning conversation. When combined with other methods it is a good supplement, if the price is right. Whatever that other method may be is up to the individual but it should include the other aspects of the language that Pimsleur doesn't cover.

That being said, many people can't stand the program. It is oriented towards business travelers. It uses business vocabulary to a larger extent than necessary. It's true that it only teaches a limited vocabulary, however; in my opinion, it teaches that limited vocabulary very well. In order to learn from the program you must be an active participant. There are transcripts available online, but that defeats the purpose of the program which is to train your speaking and listening skills.

Its advantages are that it is audio based, so you can listen and learn anywhere. You're not tied to a computer. The graduated interval recall system helps you to start to think in the language. It serves as a good introductory foundation to a language upon which you can build a more solid structure.

No one program or course will teach you a language from zero to proficiency, despite the advertising to the contrary. In order to really learn a language you must use it. You must use it by engaging with native materials and native speakers.

Edited by iguanamon on 18 January 2012 at 3:40am

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version