atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 1 of 17
19 January 2012 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
After i realized, that I may have a bad listening comprehension rate, I wondered how to approach it systematically. Sure, there is a lot of material out there,and having a huge vocab may be helpful, and all this is fine, but it doesn't lay out a plan, and doing this yourself can be pretty difficult I guess. Atleast that's how I feel, now that I've been confronted with the problem.

Is there a specific plan to address this issue somewhere? Forum search didn't come up with anything specific, and Google returned nothing useful. If you were to "fix that problem" after more than one year of learning step by step, how would you do it?
If you just started learning a language, what would be the way to go?
I guess those two situations differ a lot, also in methodology, because a real newbie to a language doesn't have ressources to activate (that is, if it's even possible to activate them).
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5603 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 17
19 January 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
If all you hear is what sounds like an endless stream of nonsense, then there may well be two separate problems going on at the same time:

1: You are not able to distinguish sounds

2: You are not able to work out meaning

It can help to split these problems up, by:

1: Listening very closely to audio without worrying about meaning and focusing on noticing word endings, intonation, and so on. This can take quite a while - maybe tens of hours - while your brain gets used to splitting up the stream of babble into distinct words.

After you have finished the first step:

2: Start to listen for meaning. For words you already know well, the first step will mean that you magically understand them when listening. For words that you understand less well, you may have to listen many times while your brain registers the sound with the spelling and meaning that you have already learned. For words which you don't already know, there is no short cut, other than learning them over time.

Edited by Splog on 20 January 2012 at 12:38pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6404 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 17
19 January 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm finding it useful to work with movies. For this I'm using an Anki deck generated by
Subs2SRS, which essentially takes a movie and two subtitle files, extracts the audio that
matches the subtitles from the movie, also extracts a small image reminding you of the
situation, and then puts that in a file along with the transcript and translation. Really
neat tool. After studying movie lines like this, I'm already finding it much easier to
understand slurred speech.
4 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5232 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 4 of 17
19 January 2012 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
After i realized, that I may have a bad listening comprehension rate, I wondered how to approach it systematically.

In addition to all the good advice already given let me say that sometimes a bad listening comprehension is the most natural thing in the world. If you are referring to real life speech, tv, whatever and not to the audio that accompanies your study materials (you really should aim for an excellent comprehension rate there, no "I get the gist of it" or "70%, that's good, isn't it?", how else would you ever be able to comprehend on the fly ...) then you may not expect more than is reasonable. With a vocabulary of 1000 words and shaky grammar you'll hear the random known word here and there and can notice when someone gets murdered in a movie because he stops moving. But not more. And in such a case there is nothing to worry about.
This is trivial stuff, but sometimes people tell things like "I have finished my Assimil lesson 20, and my listening comprehension is terrible, what can I do?" Well, make sure that you fully grasp your lessons and keep going!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 17
19 January 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
TV and movies are the last frontier. You can learn a language to a level where you can easily function in your everyday life and still find TV difficult.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6843 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 17
19 January 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
If you haven't seen these forum threads before:
Guide to Learning Languages, part 5
Developing listening comprehension
3 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6250 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 7 of 17
20 January 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
TV and movies are the last frontier. You can learn a language to a level where you can easily function in your everyday life and still find TV difficult.

This is so true, especially with films. It drives me nuts. My German and French comprehension are very good; I can follow radio debates and listen to audiobooks quite comfortably, but movies strangely pose more difficulties. Makes me sad, it does.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 8 of 17
20 January 2012 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
The "bloodhound" technique sounds promising, I'll give it an extensive try. Anyone else experience with this method?

I don't really get how Subs2SRS works.

Currently ripping the Audio off of "Buzzer Beat" epoisodes, will put them on my mp3 player.

Ahh.. I should have done that months ago..

Edited by atama warui on 20 January 2012 at 6:31am

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version