Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Learning with texts (the next generation)

Tags: Software
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5152 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 3
24 January 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I have been using LWT a lot and really, really like the features. For anyone who doesn't not know this application
there is more information here.
It's working great but being new to a language it's still quite a big job to get started as I have to translate almost
every word but of course it's getting better and better the more I do it. But I have been thinking about what could
be done to use the "power" of LWT even more.

The idea is to combine LWT with a wiki where the wiki would be useful in a way that it actually can be used to
connect information in the same way your brain does. So explaining "that this word relates to this word" can be
done with links as well as explaining a sentence, a word or a phrase can be done with the same context as the
text.

To start a test I created a small wiki based on something called
TiddlyWiki with a small extract from the french version of Harry Potter.
The test can be found here where you can try out some of
the features I am talking about.

For example try to click on the text "Mr" to get some additional information and then follow the word "Monsieur"
from there for even more. So before I consider this more I wonder if there is anything like this out there? Would it
provide any real usage? Should it be a public version (think wikipedia which is editable by all) or a private one
(only editable by one individual or several selected). Or it this just a waste of time and would not actually provide
any learning possibilities for anyone?

Regards,

Fredrik
2 persons have voted this message useful

nadiatwinkle
United Kingdom
Joined 5156 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 3
24 January 2012 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently learning arabic (classical) and want to do some extra work outside lessons by increasing my vocab and root verbs that i know. That being said, since i have to prior experience to learning a language, i was wondering if the flashcard method is any good for arabic, because i heard it's not very effective for an 'ensemble' language like arabic.

I was thinking of either making my own flashcards, or using anki.

Also, in terms of flashcards, i do not know the best way to go about it..

For example, would i put the word in English on one side and then the arabic on the otherside and all the derivatives such as plural, feminine and masculine or should i make seperate flashcards for singular nouns and plural since they are very different and do not have a pattern when it comes to making them plural (which means it's basically another word to learn).

Thanks for the advice!

X
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 3 of 3
24 January 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
juman wrote:
Or it this just a waste of time and would not actually provide
any learning possibilities for anyone?

I use TiddlyWiki regularly for both language learning and other applications. It is very easy to use and very useful.

However, as I'm sure you have already discovered, to make an entry for every word or expression in L2 is an ENORMOUS task. Certainly it would be very useful to yourself and many people. However, it is really too much to do by yourself unless you just did a subset like verb tenses, irregular verbs, conjunctions, or something like that. TiddlyWiki is a better format than Wikipedia because it has a lot less overhead and loads quickly. However, TiddlyWiki stores everything in a single .html file which will quickly become very large. You can link to other html files but then it loses some of the TiddlyWiki flavour and becomes just linked html.

Whether a "cloud-computing" effort by many people would work is unknown. It probably would get off to a fast start but then slow down.

Another personal consideration. If you try to do it by yourself, you'll probably get part of it done about the same time as you have progressed in your L2 to where you don't really need it anymore. At this stage, just reading and interacting in L2 may become much more productive.

Just some thoughts. I very much recommend TiddlyWiki for language learning applications. It is really good at organising a lot of material, and it is so easy.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version