Estonia
Joined 5468 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 25 of 67
16 March 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Seems to me that there are two sorts of people: those who love Kindle for its
simplicity and those who hate it for its simplicity. I'm the former. Kindle is for
reading. Period. If your learning consists of reading, then it's the best damn tool
there is. If you want to do anything else, Kindle is not up to it.

Kindle is my indispensable buddy when I go on trips. I've got loads of books there and
I don't really get how some people are put off by Kindle's "small" storage. I have 349
books on Kindle 3 and still have 2.7 GB free. How many books does one need? 3000? What
for? I can read Russian and Japanese on it, it can handle national characters of most
European languages as well. I charge my Kindle once per month or twice per month tops,
when I let it sit on WiFi and download subscriptions at will and when I read a lot. But
to wear down K3 battery in two weeks I have to read *a lot*.

Kindle sucks for slick dictionary lookup, sucks for reading PDF's and it sucks for
listening MP3's.
It.
Is.
For.
Reading.
Texts.

For everything else there are tablets and smartphones. I personally find iPad pricey
for what it is. I've used it but have no plans to purchase it. Kindle complements my
laptop and smartphone better.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Lasciel
Groupie
United States
Joined 5308 days ago

55 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 26 of 67
24 March 2011 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
For me, the Kindle wins out. People can tout the extra features of the Ipad all they like, but the Kindle really is lighter and more convenient than a paperback book... I find myself reading and studying more just because it's easier to take a Kindle with me traveling than an actual book. And I'd have to carry around a pile to have both Spanish & Japanese resources available. If I wanted something bigger like the Ipad, I have a netbook that costs half the price and is still more convenient to carry.

I also have had varying degrees of success with PDFs (Kindle 3, 3G version) but it manages a converted-to-mobi Colloquial Japanese just dandy. I did have issues with my copy of Genki, but considering the file is about 300MB I'm not surprised something went wrong somewhere... I haven't had any problems with the audio.

Go with the Kindle if you really do want lightweight and convenient, AND if you plan on reading for 2+ hours. I read a 300 page book on a backlit screen in 2 days once, and it was a killer ): if you read for long periods of time, the Kindle is the way to go.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 27 of 67
03 April 2011 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
I just got a Nook color and turned it into a full Android tablet by putting CyanogenMod
on it :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5468 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 28 of 67
03 April 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
ChiaBrain wrote:
I just got a Nook color and turned it into a full Android tablet by
putting CyanogenMod
on it :)

How's the performance and battery? How does it compare to dedicated Android tablets?
Rooted Nook Color might be something I'd may consider.
1 person has voted this message useful

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 

Message 29 of 67
10 April 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
It plays video just fine. I don't think it would play HD video well though. Not sure
what the res was on YouTube.

Everything else, web, etc is fine. It lacks a camera, built in mic, gps, 3g/4g. It does
have wi-fi and blue tooth though. I believe its possible to use blue tooth headset with
it and a blue tooth keyboard. The processor is a single core @ 800 Mhz and i think it
comes with 1GB internal storage. The display is fantastic.

That said, the ViewSonic gTablet may be a better buy at $300 (vs $250) as it comes with
a dual core processor, camera and i think a mic. Friend got one at work and I'm hoping
to check it out

For reading the Nook is great, be it web or an eBook, and thats what I wanted it for.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5743 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 

Message 30 of 67
10 April 2011 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Side Note: There seems to be A LOT of Kindle books available in Spanish, French, German, Italian and
Portuguese:

Spanish: 8,631
French:   4,383
German: 12,501
Italian: 2,130
Portuguese: 2,177

Kindle books in Foreign Languages

Edit:
The number seems to be growing too. As of 2011/4/18 the numbers are now:

Spanish: 8,801
French:   4,485
German: 14,361
Italian: 2,189
Portuguese: 2,207

Edited by ChiaBrain on 19 April 2011 at 5:52am

2 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 31 of 67
11 April 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
looks like the iPad wins unless it is too expensive for your budget AND you're ONLY going to read to acquire a
language. Unfortunately, in order to speak the language you need to do a lot more than just read...

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6787 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish

Message 32 of 67
11 April 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
I check the ebook reader market periodically and kindle now is pretty affordable, even
for me :) Last time I checked though the dictionary situation left a lot to be desired.
Has it changed yet? Is there a wider array of languages, with comprehensive dictionaries,
or is it still a domain of fanboys who compile their own dictionaries from public domain
files?

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version