Triglot
Finland
Joined 4867 days ago

117 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 17 of 27
19 July 2011 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
I started learning Spanish seven weeks ago and I think I have something around 120 hours of practice under my belt. I have used Pimsleur, Platiquemos, frequency dictionary as well as some verb books and also listened podcasts and read some texts. Strongly audio based approach, but not solely.

I think I have at the moment around 300-400 word active vocabulary and 3000-5000 word passive vocabulary. Of course a lot of those words come from other languages. Today I read some pages of Mario Vargas Llosa's La ciudad y los perros novel, I understood general idea of the text but lost most nuances, at the moment I know maybe 70 % of words of the novel. When I listen to Notes in Spanish Advanced podcasts I know around 70-80 % of the words and generally understand main ideas.

I hope I can reach B2 and basic fluency in 500 hours of practice with around 10000 word passive vocabulary and 1500-2000 word active vocabulary. I do not really know how reasonable target that is.

1 person has voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6800 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 18 of 27
06 August 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I learn about 75 words a day

Shantaram
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

19 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Hindi, German

Message 19 of 27
23 November 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
A few years ago I got some wild idea to learn Malay. Usually I find a country/culture/etc that intrigues me and then decide to learn the language. In this case however I picked Malay and started making up reasons to learn it..needless to say this did not work out and I dropped it all together after a couple months.

That being said, in those two months I attained a 3000 word vocabulary through endless use of flashcards. I could pick up any stack and get about 95% correct but I had just above zero speaking and listening ability.

If I had adjusted my study program I imagine a 2000 word working vocabulary could easily be attained in two months.

gronis
Spain
Joined 4752 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 27
23 November 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:

That sounds like much. I would like to do that to. How do you do that?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 22 of 27
23 November 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
A word is not always a word. Throwing a number at us is useless unless you specify context.

For a French speaker, or even an English speaker, 5 Italian, Spanish or Portuguese words would probably equal 1 or 2 Chinese, Korean or Japanese words. This is a totally random number, but my point is that words from different languages are not equal.

Take the word book. The French equivalent is livre. Every English speaker can realize that it's close to library. It's not going to be very hard to recognize when it comes up again. It will take longer to remember to produce it with the right pronunciation, and even longer to remember that it's masculine, so even in this context, "learning" the word livre could mean different things. On the scale of hundreds or thousands of words, the variations would be huge.

Now take Mandarin. It will take a lot longer for that same learner to remember that table is zhuo1 zi. Much longer yet to produce it with the proper tone. And longer yet to also remember that it takes zhang1 as a classifier. (forgive my rusty Mandarin if the details are wrong).

How many words like "livre" can you learn to recognize in a day is a VERY different question than how many words like (zhang) zhuo1 zi can you learn well enough to produce in a day.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6800 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 23 of 27
23 November 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
eugio wrote:
If you're studying a new language, how long would it take you to learn 2000 words, and how would you do it?

One question you need to ask here is "what do you mean by word?"

For example the word "be" in English, could be learned. But there are other words you need to learn to (am, are, is, was, were) which are all part of it.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6800 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 24 of 27
24 November 2011 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
gronis wrote:
FuroraCeltica wrote:

That sounds like much. I would like to do that to. How do you do that?

I bundle 70-80 flash cards into a pack, and work on them each day

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version