rivere123
United States
Joined 4765 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 17 of 29
22 October 2011 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
I've been studying for about three months myself, so I can't say I'm extremely experienced, but I can say that I approve of starting from the beginning.

About a week after I started learning, I started using native materials, mostly online news. It is a good way to practice the language, and a good way to find words to begin studying (I often go blank when trying to do this). It also gives more personality to a language than just a dictionary, but it IS a truly daunting experience.

Upon reading newspapers, I could understand very little, and I figured I had a long way to go. But because I did this early, I was still building vocabulary quickly so I was confident in my ability to overcome this obstacle. Today, I can understand newspapers with 60-90% clarity.

Listening is yet more daunting, but now I don't feel like I'm listening to Chinese. The language is slower and I can understand words more frequently.
1 person has voted this message useful

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4972 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 18 of 29
23 October 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
I think there's a good rationale for exposure to native material early on. For one thing one doesn't have the disappointment of learning so much then having a 'shock' encounter with native material. However I am resolutely against subjecting oneself to long exposure without understanding. I don't believe it has any magical 'subliminal' benefit. Most native input can though be made easier in a number of ways (choosing easier material, repetition, reading and listening, news input and so on).
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 6060 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 19 of 29
23 October 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
I think it's the 'all-japanese-all-the-time' guy who started advocating listening to a lot of native material from the beginning. I'm sure others have talked about this before, but I think this is how the idea got popular. My take on it? That it really does work for some people -- people who learn this way aren't lying. But, it doesn't work for everyone and it doesn't work for me.   I'd say, give it a shot for a few months, maybe, but if you're not picking up anything, find another method.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 20 of 29
23 October 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
I think it's the 'all-japanese-all-the-time' guy who started advocating listening to a lot of native material from the beginning. I'm sure others have talked about this before, but I think this is how the idea got popular. My take on it? That it really does work for some people -- people who learn this way aren't lying. But, it doesn't work for everyone and it doesn't work for me.   I'd say, give it a shot for a few months, maybe, but if you're not picking up anything, find another method.

It's not just about "picking up" something when you use native material. It is about developing skills.

I have been learning French slowly over about 3-4 months now. I listen to "easy" news in French from rFI from time to time. It is only about 10 minutes per episode, so it is not overly taxing. I guess I only know about 5-10% of the words used, but since it's news, I can often catch the gist, or at least figure out the topic, based on proper names used. I don't listen passively, hoping the French will magically seep into my brain. I actively listen for words I know, and am improving at the skill of picking words out. In another few months I will be picking out phrases and whole sentences I understand.

The point is that when you learn a language you need to develop a variety of skills. Native materials are one way of doing this. As I've said previously in this thread, I prefer using easier native material at first, and working up to more difficult material. Others like to jump right into the tough stuff. Either way, native materials are indispensible.
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 21 of 29
25 October 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I may be a bit late to the debate, but I'm not sure what the alternative to native materials is. I guess people must be referring to artificially made-up texts or exercises. I've always heard and preferred "authentic" materials, but native materials probably means the same thing. My understanding of language learning theory is that you should use material that is just a bit higher than your level of comprehension so that you can enjoy or understand most of the material and still be challenged. So, you always keep moving the bar up. Frankly, it seems kind of masochistic to me to want to start learning French with a heavyweight 19th century novel. I think a comic book or some fairy tales would be more fun.

Edited by s_allard on 25 October 2011 at 3:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 22 of 29
25 October 2011 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I may be a bit late to the debate, but I'm not sure what the alternative to native materials is. I guess people must be referring to artificially made-up texts or exercises. I've always heard and preferred "authentic" materials, but native materials probably means the same thing. My understanding of language learning theory is that you should use material that is just a bit higher than your level of comprehension so that you can enjoy or understand most of the material and still be challenged. So, you always keep moving the bar up. Frankly, it seems kind of masochistic to me to want to start learning French with a heavyweight 19th century novel. I think a comic book or some fairy tales would be more fun.

This is why I prefer to grade my native material, even to the point of starting with children's books. I like to keep my material a bit difficult, but not too difficult. It is said that in order to "read with pleasure" you should only be looking up one word in twenty (or know 95% of the words). This makes some people push and push to learn the 5000 or so words of vocabulary needed to read adult writings with ease.

However, it you can find plenty of literature for younger people with much smaller vocabulary, which still uses most grammatical features of adult language. For example, the CLE book I have in French (mentioned several pages above) has 600 words.

Incunabulum
United States
Joined 4974 days ago

13 posts - 30 votes
Studies: French, Serbian

Message 23 of 29
25 October 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I haven't seen this site mentioned before, so I'll mention it here. It has recordings
in French along with transcripts:

http://francebienvenue1.wordpress.com/

If you are a beginner you can view it like this:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?
ref=Internal&from=fr&to=en&a=http://francebienvenue1.wordpre ss.com/

which will give you the option of seeing the original and a machine translated version
side by side, or through popups over the original text. This is a very low pain way to
use native material.

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4732 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 24 of 29
26 October 2011 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
The initial question is asked in a bad way. When someone learns a language, it cannot
make any harm. One can learn a language in a less effective way or even in a way which
will never lead to the expected aim. The question should rather sound. what is the most
effective way or is using such a method effective enough? Sometimes a less effective
way is acceptable, when it is connected for instance with better motivation. For
example, someone starts reading a book with practically no vocabulary and no knowledge
of the grammar. It is not very effective but the person enjoys this way. Then why not.
I believe, its is good to have a good textbook and to learn some basic vocabulary and
grammar. It is more effective than to look up each word in a dictionary. I am not
dogmatic, after going half of the textbook I start with reading real texts, but I take
it as a complement. Some people here recommend text in a simplified language, basic
vocabulary, simple grammar etc. But then I ask, is it a real language or a kind of
textbook? There is another reason why I believe, good textbooks are very helpful. They
contain the language one cannnot find in a book, I mean various conversational phrases
etc. You can have very extensive vocabulary, even active vocabulary, but at the same
time it can be very diffucult for you to tell somebody the way when he asks.

Edited by JiriT on 26 October 2011 at 12:28am

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version