Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Memorizing lists of "phrases" rather ...

Tags: Memory | Idiom
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
65 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 8 9 Next >>
leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 41 of 65
14 November 2011 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
amethyst32 wrote:
s_allard wrote:
:

El caso es que su papá le prometió algo y después le salió con que tuvo que hacer una cosa distinta.
(The story is that her dad promised her something and then said that he had to do something else.)

.... Instead of El caso es maybe I could use Resultó. Instead of una cosa distinta I could use otra cosa. In the meantime
I have something that I can put to good use right away.

It's a good example. I picked up the idea of learning phrases instead of words

So you're agreeing with s_allard that learning phrases instead of words is a good idea. But s_allard has made it clear
that he advocates learning phrases in addition to words.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 42 of 65
14 November 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
leosmith wrote:
s_allard wrote:
And please, do not believe that it is the only strategy and
that individual words are not
important

As long as you are advocating learning words and grammar in addition to sentences than we're on the same page.
The op sounds like he's trying to kill 2 or more birds with one stone, which I believe is inefficient. So let me ask you
the obvious question - how many sentences do you think a person needs to learn to get to B1?

I have no idea how to answer this question.

A number would be nice. Or how about a percentage? Or how about just telling us how sentences fit into your
language learning plan.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 43 of 65
14 November 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
s_allard wrote:
leosmith wrote:
s_allard wrote:
And please, do not believe that it is the only strategy and
that individual words are not
important

As long as you are advocating learning words and grammar in addition to sentences than we're on the same page.
The op sounds like he's trying to kill 2 or more birds with one stone, which I believe is inefficient. So let me ask you
the obvious question - how many sentences do you think a person needs to learn to get to B1?

I have no idea how to answer this question.

A number would be nice. Or how about a percentage? Or how about just telling us how sentences fit into your
language learning plan.

I really don't see what the fuss is about. Frankly, I don't see what there is to discuss. But let's get one thing clear. When I talk about emphasizing learning phrases, this has nothing to do with trying to learn a language from a phrasebook for travellers or just going down a list of 1,000 selected sentences in the target language.

That out of the way, I think the idea of thinking in terms of phrases is nothing new or unusual. It seems to me that this is what most people do spontaneously. As a matter of fact, I have always been interested in how people learn languages spontaneously, as happens all the time when groups enter into contact. There are people who will tell you that the learned a language just by watching soap operas or learning songs in the language. I think it can actually work quite well.

In my approach to learning to speak a language, I emphasize learning usable units that one can use immediately. Of course, you have to study grammar and vocabulary. But if you don't want to get discouraged by the staggering amount of stuff you have to assimilate, you must interact with the language in a meaningful way as soon as possible. This is why people who have followed a number of my posts will have noticed that I have always emphasized the fact that the key to speaking proficiency is the mastery of a very small number of forms or structures. For example, I believe that a vocabulary of around 500 words in languages like English, French and Spanish (the ones I'm familiar with) are enough to develop excellent speaking ability.

The issue isn't the number of words, it's how to use them properly. In spoken conversational French, four verbs, ètre, avoir, faire and aller make up about 30-40% of all verbs used. In terms of learning strategy, this obviously means that a) look out for these verbs when you are in a conversation and b) these are the four key verbs you have to master.

The other key observation is that these key verbs are irregular in form and, above all, used in very many different ways or meanings. What this says is that these verbs, depending on the context or words surrounding them can take on very many different uses. So, to learn that être in French and ser and estar in Spanish mean "to be" is just very tiny tip of the iceberg of how to use these forms properly.

Thus, on the one hand, we have to learn how to conjugate the verbs, keeping in mind that two thirds of those conjugation tables are rarely used and that certain forms can actually work for multiple tenses. On the other hand, and this is the real challenge, how do you actually put these forms into meaningful sequences. This is why I believe in working extensively with multiple examples or phrases that "reveal" meaning or usage.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 44 of 65
14 November 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
In my approach to learning to speak a language, I emphasize learning usable units that one can use immediately. Of course, you have to study grammar and vocabulary.

I can appreciate what you're saying, but my personal view is that learning a phrase as a "unit" before you have some mastery of the component parts is actually quite hard work. Learning phrases as idiomatic interactions of individual items of vocabulary and grammar that you already know is pretty quick.

Consider: you can dedicate an hour or two at the start of a beginners' course to "hello, how are you, goodbye", and they still struggle and stumble with it.

Michel Thomas introduces "comment ça va?" in the fourth hour of his course, after having taught the basics of questions, the verb "aller" for several persons (present tense) and ça. He introduces "comment" specifically here, but it works the same way as any other question word. (He'd already used qui, pourquoi and à quelle heure. He prompts for "how's it going?" and gets "comment ça va?" from the student, and then casually points out that this is a common phrase. The student this way learns the phrase from first principles, and should understand it effortlessly, and be able to reproduce it very easily.

He holds off "je m'appelle" until the eighth hour, because he wants the student to know the reflexive first. Knowing the reflexive, and working with the word for "call", the student is asked how to say "I call myself", which is by now easy to do from first principles, and means something immediately. It's pointed out to the student that this is the normal way of saying your name.

Quote:
But if you don't want to get discouraged by the staggering amount of stuff you have to assimilate, you must interact with the language in a meaningful way as soon as possible.

I agree, but we differ on what we mean by "meaningful".

While a dialogue along the lines of "hello, my name is Cainntear, what is your name? How do you do? I am fine, too. I must go. Goodbye" is superficially meaningful, I do not believe it qualifies as truly meaningful to the individual. With big chunks like that, there is no real feeling of expression. To me, it's mere protocol, and there is a lack of meaningful choice in what I say.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 65
14 November 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

The meaning of "salir" isn't "say", it's "leave/exit". ....
How would you say "come out with"? Now, while in English we can only "come out with something" (ie use a verb), in Spanish you can use it in most places where you would use "talk"/"hablar".

s_allard wrote:
the one thing that struck me was, "The meaning of "salir" isn't "say", it's "leave/exit"." Here is the fundamental fundamental difference between Cainntear and myself. For me, in this context, "salir" means "say." Of course, in other contexts, it means "leave/exit" but here it is best translated by "say."

For me the meaning "say" in such examples (see the post on the preceding page) is derived from the main meaning "leave/exit", presumably via a step where the intransitive verb is made transitive, followed by another step where the word "salir (algo)" is applied on things coming out of the mouth of people, ie. words.

This is one of the reasons it is worth looking at the components of an expression - you see what actually is said and not just what you could say instead. Even quite aberrant expressions usually have some kind of inbuilt logic, and if you understand that you have got a key to the logic of the language itself.

With time the original meaning of a word may wither away and only the derived meaning remains. But in that case the problem is also solved, just in another way.

Edited by Iversen on 14 November 2011 at 7:32pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 46 of 65
14 November 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

The meaning of "salir" isn't "say", it's "leave/exit". ....
How would you say "come out with"? Now, while in English we can only "come out with something" (ie use a verb), in Spanish you can use it in most places where you would use "talk"/"hablar".

s_allard wrote:
the one thing that struck me was, "The meaning of "salir" isn't "say", it's "leave/exit"." Here is the fundamental fundamental difference between Cainntear and myself. For me, in this context, "salir" means "say." Of course, in other contexts, it means "leave/exit" but here it is best translated by "say."

For me the meaning "say" in such examples (see the post on the preceding page) is derived from the main meaning "leave/exit", presumably via a step where the intransitive verb is made transitive, followed by another step where the word "salir (algo)" is applied on things coming out of the mouth of people, ie. words.

This is one of the reasons it is worth looking at the components of an expression - you see what actually is said and not just what you could say instead. Even quite aberrant expressions usually have some kind of inbuilt logic, and if you understand that you have got a key to the logic of the language itself.

With time the original meaning of a word may wither away and only the derived meaning remains. But in that case the problem is also solved, just in another way.

I have no doubts that these explanations of the origin of this usage of "salir" are well founded and of some interest. That explains why "salir" was used but not how it is used. When I recorded this example I was interested in the component "le salió con que" with the indirect object pronoun le and the combination of "con que." It was this sequence that I found very interesting and that I wanted to remember. This is something that I would not have said spontaneously. Now it's part of my repertoire.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 47 of 65
15 November 2011 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I really don't see what the fuss is about. Frankly, I don't see what there is to discuss.

I know, so let me remind you.
This forum is Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies. Your pages of text essentially say that sentences are
good. Given the forum we are in, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask you how you use them. Put yourself in
the shoes of a self-learner, and give some clear quantitative advice please.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 48 of 65
15 November 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I really don't see what the fuss is about. Frankly, I don't see what there is to discuss.

I know, so let me remind you.
This forum is Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies. Your pages of text essentially say that sentences are
good. Given the forum we are in, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask you how you use them. Put yourself in
the shoes of a self-learner, and give some clear quantitative advice please.

I'm not trying to be coy. I just don't know what to add to what I have said. What kind of quantitative advice could I give? Should you study 500 phrases of a mean length of 8 words? I have never given it any thought and don't intend to. All I'm saying is learn words in context as much as possible. This is neither new nor revolutionary.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version