Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 33 of 43
14 November 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Great stuff, Eric! I'll share my reading technique for Mandarin:

First I copy the text into Pleco on my iPad. If it's found online, I can browse it directly in Pleco. Otherwise I can copy-paste or open it if it's a text document. If it's a physical book, I'll snap a picture with the iPad's camera and read with the OCR function.

I start reading, and tap word's I'm unsure about. All of them except truly obscure ones get another tap on the "add flashcard" button, which creates an automatic flascard based on the dictionary I'm using to look the word up.

After reading for a while, I'll have gathered 30-60 flashcards. I stop and I do a run through the flashcards, repeating them until I get them.

Now I take a break. I do something else, either in Mandarin (watch a TV series) or something completely different.

After a while, I come back to Pleco. I do another run through the flashcards. If I find any I want to keep, I add them on Pleco on my iPhone by doing OCR directly on the screen of the iPad. This is a bit silly, but Pleco hasn't added flashcard syncing between devices yet, and it works great. When I'm done, I erase all the flashcards on the iPad and start reading the next bit.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 34 of 43
14 November 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

Intensive reading, as I understand it, is reading closely and analytically. It is a way of reading.
Extensive reading isn't a way of reading -- it simply means reading a lot of material.

I prefer my definitions, and believe they are closer to what people mean when they use the expressions on this
forum.

But we've already got the perfectly valid term "reading for gist" to describe reading without looking words up -- I don't see a need to corrupt the term "extensive reading" for this purpose.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 35 of 43
14 November 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

Intensive reading, as I understand it, is reading closely and analytically. It is a way of reading.
Extensive reading isn't a way of reading -- it simply means reading a lot of material.

I prefer my definitions, and believe they are closer to what people mean when they use the expressions on this
forum.

But we've already got the perfectly valid term "reading for gist" to describe reading without looking words up -- I
don't see a need to corrupt the term "extensive reading" for this purpose.

When we discuss "extensive" vs "intensive" reading, we almost always use the term "extensive reading". So there's no
corruption. If you feel strongly enough about it to create a poll, I will yield to the results. Short of that, I'll stick with
"extensive".

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4817 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 36 of 43
14 November 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:

I started trying this yesterday with La Reina del Sur in Spanish. I am at the point where I normally have to look up between 4 and 8 words per page. I copy those into a notebook as you suggested, and you are right. The second time I encounter a word I may not remember the definition but I definitely remember that I had already looked it up a few pages back so I flip back a page or two in my notebook to find it.

I am also copying out "tricky" phrases and sentences, i.e. phrases and sentences whose meaning is not immediately obvious, where I have to puzzle over the grammar a bit, or discover that some three-word collocation is actually an idiom ("por otro lado") or a "template" (<noun> es más <adj> que <noun>) . That way when I encounter that collocation again I can treat it like a vocabulary item without laboriously parsing out the "literal" translation.

It seems to be working really well. I'm not slowed down very much by the copying, and it seems to be cementing my new vocabulary more quickly, although I've only been doing it for barely two days. I'm definitely going to stick with it for a couple weeks at least to see what I think of it then.

--gary

I'm glad you're finding it useful. Like I said, I'm just now getting started reading native nexts myself (this is my first novel). After reading through this thread some more, I was thinking that making it a more "assembly line"-like method might be helpful. Meaning, do a step completely before moving to the next.

Ex: write all words that you don't know for a passage, THEN look them up all at once with an online dictionary and fill in the list with the definitions. It's slightly more efficient for time, but less intensive since you don't learn the words as you go.

What eric wrote seems like an even better idea though: just annotate in the book itself which words to look up later.

I agree with Ari that his method sounds like the best use of resources in this modern age, but for me to do that would cost me more than I've spent on language material to date (since I don't even have a smartphone or iPad or anything remotely related to it).

What I did this weekend, though, was a marathon L-R session. So I haven't even looked up any words, but have just been reading (roughly 200 pages in Italian). Though I was skeptical of it*, I can report that L-R actually does work pretty well for me, but I think the essential follow-up is to go back through the book intensively. After the L-R, there should be (fingers crossed) far fewer words and phrases that I'll need to look up than if I hadn't already L-R'd it.

*Edit: In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have been, since the method is really just the Assimil approach done for a much longer session.

Edited by Hendrek on 14 November 2011 at 4:53pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 43
14 November 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

But we've already got the perfectly valid term "reading for gist" to describe reading without looking words up -- I don't see a need to corrupt the term "extensive reading" for this purpose.

Quantity and a certain amount of speed are for me necessary components in extensive reading or listening, but you can do these things in languages where you definitely get more than the gist from the exercise - so the two notions don't mean exactly the same. In this situation it also likely that you don't look words up because you don't need to look anything up.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 38 of 43
15 November 2011 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

Quantity and a certain amount of speed are for me necessary components in extensive reading or listening, but you can do these things in languages where you definitely get more than the gist from the exercise - so the two notions don't mean exactly the same. In this situation it also likely that you don't look words up because you don't need to look anything up.

It's also not a corruption of the term. "Extensive reading" is described in a number of sources, dating back to at least the mid-1990s (for instance, "The Art and Science of Learning Languages").

3 persons have voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6175 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 39 of 43
15 November 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure those terms were used when I studied English in the mid-1980s and I
believe I've seen their Swedish equivalents in a general introduction to academic
foreign language learning which dates back at least another ten years. So I'd say they're
reasonably well defined and practical to use.

//aloysius

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 40 of 43
15 November 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
a poster mentioned reading out loud as a tool; what exactly does this improve? pronunciation (only if you are already confirmed as having a working pronunciation of course), hearing?

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version