Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When can one adopt a native dictionary?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
124 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 15 16 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 73 of 124
23 November 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
You can actually enrich your vocabulary by learning new meanings for words you already know.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 74 of 124
23 November 2011 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
You can actually enrich your vocabulary by learning new meanings for words you already know.

True, but it makes no difference.

If a definition uses a word you don't know, you can't understand the definition easily.

If a definition uses an unknown sense of a word you know in other contexts, you still can't understand it easily.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 75 of 124
23 November 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I don't know if this is "wordy" or "stilted", but it certainly gives a rather clear picture of five usages or definitions of "go off". Notice how the learner's vocabulary is enhanced by all the synonyms in the definitions.

These two sentences are mutually contradictory.

If the picture is "clear", it is because the definition is easy to understand. For the learner's vocabulary to be "enhanced" by synonyms, these must be words they do not know, so the definition cannot be understood easily.

I can't decode these cryptic statements from @Cainntear,

For pity's sake, what is cryptic about that?

If something is clear, you understand it easily. That's why we call it clear.

If you're enriching your vocabulary with synonyms, then the synonyms must be new.
And if they're new to the reader, then they don't understand them.

Obviously.

The reason I use the word cryptic so often when referring to some of these statements is that I'm always left scratching my head, trying to figure out the real meaning. Most of the time I give up. Let me have a go at this. If you want to enrich your vocabulary with synonyms, these must be new. If they are old, then you already know them. So, you're not enriching your vocabulary. If they are new, then you can't understand them. So, I guess you won't enrich your vocabulary either. That is some pretty weird reasoning. I wonder if that makes dictionaries of synonyms useless tools.

Why do people consult dictionaries of synonyms? My opinion is that often we are searching for a word that is conceptually related to one we know and that can either bring a nuance or a stylistic variation in our speaking or writing.

The thesaurus.com site gives as synonyms of "mother" the following words:

ancestor, child-bearer, creator, forebearer, mom, mommy, origin, parent, predecessor, procreator, progenitor, source

Most of these words are not totally interchangeable with "mother", but they express some element that is in common with the meaning of "mother". I think that studying something like this enhances one's vocabulary because it isn't really about seeing new words as seeing how words can be related to each other. I knew all of these words, but I didn't see how I could relate them to "mother". Now, when I'm searching for ways to express the concept of something being born of another I have a range of words that I can use. I will never call my mother "progenitor", but I will probably have use for "predecessor" or "creator" in other contexts.

As I have said endlessly, meaning comes from context. Most new words are not new at all. They are simply old words that are recombined differently. "Mobile", "cell", "phone", "tweet", "text", "chat" are not new words but have taken on new usages when we speak of "cellphones", "mobiles", "text messages", "chat room" etc. "Face" and "book" have given us "Facebook". "Web" is certainly not a new word. Neither is "site", but we now have "website".    
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 76 of 124
24 November 2011 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Assume you use a L1 --> L2 dictionary. You want to say or write something in the foreign language, and you have an idea about what you would have said in your own language (or in the base language of the dictionary). If there is one and only translation then you will normally use it, but I guess we all have been in the situation that we distrust the dictionary.. it is like there is something fishy about that proposal so we check it in a L2 -> L1 dictionary or maybe in a monolingual dictionary or on the internet. How can this happen? Well, we may have seen the word many times before, but it just didn't make it into our active vocabulary. Or it looks like something we have seen before and which had an irrelevant and unwanted meaning, so now we also are deeply sceptical about the newfound term.

So for a language learner who knows a little bit about the L2 in question a dictionary isn't a place where you either find known or unknown words - it is not a question of black or white. A dictionary is a place where you get some words that may or may not be useable in your context, and you use some quite obscure criteria for accepting or dismissing the proposals in the book. You may even decide to say something else because all the translation proposals appear suspicious.

If you use a dictionary the other way (or a monolingual dictionary) you may do it to find out what a certain L2 word means, but it could also just be to find out about its morphology or spelling or etymology or whatever. However you will probably also learn something more about its meaning by seeing the translations or interpretations, adding new aspects to the notion about it you had before. Again, this is not a question of white or black. In many cases you have a feeling that the translation or translations or annotations point in the right direction, but there is still something rotten you haven't been told - and maybe you are right (no dictionary can tell you everything about a language).

Edited by Iversen on 24 November 2011 at 3:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 77 of 124
24 November 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The reason I use the word cryptic so often when referring to some of these statements is that I'm always left scratching my head, trying to figure out the real meaning. Most of the time I give up. Let me have a go at this. If you want to enrich your vocabulary with synonyms, these must be new. If they are old, then you already know them. So, you're not enriching your vocabulary. If they are new, then you can't understand them. So, I guess you won't enrich your vocabulary either.

No, what I mean is "if they are new, you can't understand the definition". Maybe this is a bad assumption, but I'm assuming most people look up dictionaries to find out the meaning of a particular word. This would be the main goal. The reason I prefer bilingual dictionaries to monolingual ones is because they are easier to understand, so they fulfil that main goal easier.

Dictionaries of synonyms are used with a different goal in mind and they are designed to fulfil that goal. Of course a dictionary of synonyms is limited without access to an actual dictionary to check up specific meanings - in fact, you can look at a dictionary of synonyms as a sort of "index" for a dictionary.

You may enjoy taking "walks" through a dictionary, and many do (I do it myself from time to time), but it's a hobby, not a general learning technique.

Pick the appropriate tools for each job.

Edited by Cainntear on 24 November 2011 at 10:52am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6086 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 78 of 124
24 November 2011 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Personally, I think monolingual dictionaries are extremely useful. Using French as a example,

Laguiole: Un type de fromage ( A type of cheese)

I can possess a very basic knowledge of French, and easily understand the definition. Most monolingual dictionaries will use the simplest possible expressions to define a word. However, I would be extremely wary using a monolingual thesaurus.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 79 of 124
24 November 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Pick the appropriate tools for each job.

Bravo! I couldn't have said it better myself. Monolingual dictionaries are not for everyone. They do not replace bilingual dictionaries. I think they add something for the advanced user, but that's just an opinion. If they do nothing for you, don't bother.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 80 of 124
27 November 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Until joining in a previous thread on monodics, I was prejudiced in favour of monodics. I think Iversen more or less convinced me that for most words a bilingual dictionary is better.

However, my prejudice came from the type of words I often have had to deal with: philosophical and religious terms. And these are often impossible to give a direct translation of. An example from Greek would be hilasterion (ἱλαστήριον) the meaning of which is controversial, but is usually translated as atonement, expiation or propitiation. An example from Hindi would be moksha (मोक्ष), which is often translated "salvation" but which means nothing like a Christian would think of when they hear "salvation". This led me to think that for some terms a bidic would be misleading.

However, on reflection, a good bidic would explain the subtleties of the word, while a monodic would assume the reader is within the culture and so requires less explanation.

I still think using a monodic from time to time is a good exercise, as long as you have time to browse for a while. But I've now come over to the side of preferring a bidic for most purposes.

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version