Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When can one adopt a native dictionary?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
124 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 15 16 Next >>
trance0
Pentaglot
Groupie
Slovenia
Joined 5685 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: Slovenian*, English, German, Croatian, Serbian

Message 65 of 124
23 November 2011 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Slovene bilingual dictionaries are really horrible in this respect, plus completely obsolete. One is actually forced to use good monolingual dictionaries in order to get all the necessary information and examples of usage...
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 124
23 November 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
...there is no attempt to explain what Go off in the context actually means. The dictionary is only saying that in Catalan it is apagar-se.

Good point. And this is exactly why I stress that you always should learn the elements of an expression with or before the complete expression (and if an element doesn't exist in the modern language I would dearly love to know whether it did in the past). The reason is that you then have a chance of understanding what the expression really means and not just what you could have said instead. But this is a problem both for bilingual and monolingual dictionaries.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 67 of 124
23 November 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
First of all, the entry consists of a list of equivalents of the headword Go off. These are not definitions, as claimed here.

No, they are not "definitions", but they constitute a definition. I.E. if you take all the information together, you can understand the word as a whole.

It is not just a list of equivalents, because the entry is highly structured so that the equivalents interact with each other.
Quote:
For example, apagar-se is not a definition of Go off (lighting, heating); it is the equivalent word in Catalan. The difference may seem just a question of semantics, but it's important because there is no attempt to explain what Go off in the context actually means.

Again, I didn't claim it was a "list of definitions" but a single definition. Just because it's not in stilted prose like a monolingual dictionary doesn't stop it being a definition -- it just means it's not being explained. The information's all there, and the context is specifically indicated. That's sufficient to define the meaning without giving a wordy explanation.

Quote:
The other issue that is raised when using bilingual dictionaries is the limitations of the equivalents. The dictionary tells us that apagar-se is the equivalent of Go off in a specific context. Can we reverse this equivalence? Can we say that Go off is the equivalent of apagar -se? In certain contexts yes but not in all. That is always the danger when one works entirely with equivalents and not with meaning.

Again, this is a question of proper dictionary use. If you're translating to your native language, you use one half of the dictionary. But if you're translating to your target language, you're likely to need both halves.

Edited by Cainntear on 23 November 2011 at 11:05am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 68 of 124
23 November 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
s_allard wrote:
First of all, the entry consists of a list of equivalents of the headword Go off. These are not definitions, as claimed here.

No, they are not "definitions", but they constitute a definition. I.E. if you take all the information together, you can understand the word as a whole.

It is not just a list of equivalents, because the entry is highly structured so that the equivalents interact with each other.
Quote:
For example, apagar-se is not a definition of Go off (lighting, heating); it is the equivalent word in Catalan. The difference may seem just a question of semantics, but it's important because there is no attempt to explain what Go off in the context actually means.

Again, I didn't claim it was a "list of definitions" but a single definition. Just because it's not in stilted prose like a monolingual dictionary doesn't stop it being a definition -- it just means it's not being explained. The information's all there, and the context is specifically indicated. That's sufficient to define the meaning without giving a wordy explanation.

I guess we don't agree on what the term definition means. Let's look at how the online MacMillan treats "go off":

# 1 [intransitive] to explode, or to be fired

The gun went off while he was cleaning it.

# 2 [intransitive] if something such as a light or an electricity supply goes off, it stops working or being available

All the lights in the building suddenly went off.

# 3 [transitive] go off someone/something British to stop liking someone or something

I went off the idea of buying a sports car after I found out how much it would cost.

# 4 [intransitive] to leave a place, especially for a particular purpose
go off to:

Dave’s gone off to the south of France for the summer. go off to do something:

He went off to have lunch in the canteen at one o’clock.

# 5[intransitive] to start making a noise as a signal or warning

I was just lying in bed waiting for the alarm to go off."

I don't know if this is "wordy" or "stilted", but it certainly gives a rather clear picture of five usages or definitions of "go off". Notice how the learner's vocabulary is enhanced by all the synonyms in the definitions. Notice how the examples enhance the definitions by bringing the usage to life. Notice the grammatical note "intransitive" or "transitive" and regional usage "British".

The Catalan speaker who is able to use this dictionary gets quite a good picture of how "go off" is used in English. However, they do not get the translations into Catalan. That is the value of a good English-Catalan dictionary. How would you convert this dictionary into a bilingual one? You replace the English-only definitions or synonyms with Catalan entries and, preferably, translate the examples.

Again, my point is that it is all a question of your needs and level of proficiency in the target language. A good bilingual dictionary will do the job. A good monolingual dictionary will add more sophistication.

Edited by s_allard on 23 November 2011 at 1:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 69 of 124
23 November 2011 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I don't know if this is "wordy" or "stilted", but it certainly gives a rather clear picture of five usages or definitions of "go off". Notice how the learner's vocabulary is enhanced by all the synonyms in the definitions.

These two sentences are mutually contradictory.

If the picture is "clear", it is because the definition is easy to understand. For the learner's vocabulary to be "enhanced" by synonyms, these must be words they do not know, so the definition cannot be understood easily.

Quote:
Notice how the examples enhance the definitions by bringing the usage to life.
As I keep saying, this is irrelevant, as good bilingual dictionaries also use examples.

Quote:
Notice the grammatical note "intransitive" or "transitive" and regional usage "British".

Again, this sort of information isn't unique to monolingual dictionaries. Any decent university-level bilingual dictionary will list this information.

Quote:
Again, my point is that it is all a question of your needs and level of proficiency in the target language. A good bilingual dictionary will do the job. A good monolingual dictionary will add more sophistication.

You keep insisting you're not saying it's better, but then you keep adding these positive words.

There is nothing inherently "sophisticated" about a monolingual dictionary. As I've said before, the Collins Spanish<->English dictionary currently sitting in my house is every bit as sophisticated as the Diccionario Salamanca that is sitting right next to it, or even more so.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 124
23 November 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Good point. And this is exactly why I stress that you always should learn the elements of an expression with or before the complete expression (and if an element doesn't exist in the modern language I would dearly love to know whether it did in the past). The reason is that you then have a chance of understanding what the expression really means and not just what you could have said instead. But this is a problem both for bilingual and monolingual dictionaries.

I fully agree with this: I always learn both the meaning of the single elements of an expression and then the expression as a whole. Doing this the expressions stick better in my memory.

Fasulye

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 71 of 124
23 November 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I don't know if this is "wordy" or "stilted", but it certainly gives a rather clear picture of five usages or definitions of "go off". Notice how the learner's vocabulary is enhanced by all the synonyms in the definitions.

If the picture is "clear", it is because the definition is easy to understand. For the learner's vocabulary to be "enhanced" by synonyms, these must be words they do not know, so the definition cannot be understood easily.

I can't decode these cryptic statements from @Cainntear, but it is the occasion to revisit the notion of definition, especially of verbs. If you look at the definitions or usages of "go off", you see fives entries consisting each of an explanation or a series of synonyms. What we see is that the same entry "go off" takes on a specific meaning only in a specific context. In fact, one can question whether there is any connection between an alarm clock going off, the electricity going off and going off to France. There really isn't much connection besides the common form "going off". In a sense, "going off" really doesn't have any meaning by itself. This is why synonyms, explanations and examples are so important.

The Catalan user who wants to enhance their English would probably be well served by consulting the monolingual dictionary. Whereas the English-Catalan translator should use a bilingual dictionary.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 72 of 124
23 November 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
s_allard wrote:

I can't decode these cryptic statements from @Cainntear,

For pity's sake, what is cryptic about that?

If something is clear, you understand it easily. That's why we call it clear.

If you're enriching your vocabulary with synonyms, then the synonyms must be new.
And if they're new to the reader, then they don't understand them.

Obviously.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version