Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When can one adopt a native dictionary?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
124 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 121 of 124
06 December 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
the best thing since sliced white bread

s/b "the best thing since sliced bread" or the "greatest thing since sliced bread"
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 122 of 124
06 December 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
This question, to me, is a lot like the questions "When can one begin speaking with native speakers?" "When can one read native newspapers?" and so on. The obvious difference being that most of us would see speaking with natives as part of the goal of language learning. But of course, speaking is also a means of learning, and native dictionaries can be a means of learning (leaving aside the question of their value simply for looking words up). Some people here would say you should begin speaking as soon as possible, others prefer to wait to develop their language ability before testing it in what they would see as a difficult environment. Okay, it is possible to learn a language without ever using a native dictionary. It's also possible to learn a language without ever speaking with a native (although less common).

The answer to any of these questions is: how soon do you want to do it?

Very well put indeed. I and others have argued that a monolingual dictionary brings to the table information that is not often found in bilingual dictionaries, especially in terms of usage, examples, and ancillary information like etymology and synonyms. There are excellent bilingual dictionaries that provide somewhat similar information, albeit not at the same level. I have made it abundantly clear that I am a big fan of using monolingual dictionary as soon as possible in addition to the bilingual.

As @jeffers points out quite elegantly, it really depends on what you want to do. If interacting with native materials and native speakers is not a priority, the monolingual dictionary is not for you and never will.

I would also like to point out that a fair number of native speakers, including people here at HTLAL, do not use monolingual dictionaries in their own language. This probably extends to all language reference materials in their native language. This boggles my mind because I believe that anybody who is interested in language in general and wants to speak or write with accuracy needs to refer to trustworthy guides to usage. Then again, I've come to the conclusion that accuracy, elegance, logic and style do not interest everybody.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 123 of 124
06 December 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
But to say to say that using a native dictionary because you want to be like a native makes as much sense as wearing tiny pants because you want to be skinny is so laughable that it reminds of that wonderful expression I learned recently in a monolingual dictionary, "to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic."
s_allard wrote:
Then again, I've come to the conclusion that accuracy, elegance, logic and style do not interest everybody.

Or to paraphrase:
"...and anyone who disagrees with me is a stupid smelly poo-poo head."

Edited by Cainntear on 06 December 2011 at 2:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5902 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 124 of 124
06 December 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Since the original question has been discussed at length over 16 pages and many legitimate viewpoints have been well-stated, let's end here on this unfortunate note.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version