bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 29
18 November 2011 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
jasoninchina wrote:
The main reason I'm asking this question is because my ability to read and listen
outstrips my ability to speak. In other words, I can recognize and understand various grammatical structures
when heard or seen, but struggle to use them when speaking. Of course, I am slowly becoming better at this,
but I was hoping there was something I could do to speed up the process. Sometimes, I look at my grammars
and think "if I could only master everthing in this book, my Chinese would be awesome." I know it's a foolish
thought, but it's an easy thought to have when all the information about a language is so neatly laid out for
you.

Thanks for the responses so far

I think a desire to communicate will lead to a necessity to use the grammar notions found in your manuals. Or
else, when you see a structure, ask yourself how it can help you express yourself. Make it meaningful for you,
in your context.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5166 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 10 of 29
18 November 2011 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
@snowflake The grammar workbook is the only thing pulling me along at the moment. But like I said, it's the speaking part that I'm having trouble with. I can recongize the grammatical structures in writing or when listening, but struggle to utilize them myself when speaking.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 29
19 November 2011 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
jasoninchina wrote:
@snowflake The grammar workbook is the only thing pulling me along at the moment. But like I said, it's the speaking part that I'm having trouble with. I can recongize the grammatical structures in writing or when listening, but struggle to utilize them myself when speaking.

Is it too obvious to say that it looks like what you need is more practice speaking? Reading a grammar and doing exercises will help, of course, but they will mainly improve your reading and writing skills.

To give a more practical answer: I would suggest picking a structure of the day (or week), and just keep finding excuses to use that structure in speech.

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5166 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 

Message 12 of 29
20 November 2011 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Is it too obvious to say that it looks like what you need is more practice speaking?

Not at all. I definitely need to speak more. It's very frustrating to live in the country of your L2 and not speak as much as you would like. I am fairly busy most of the time teaching English. I do have a tutor who I meet with twice a week and often try to go out and use the language, but it's not enough in my opinion. I'd really like to find some ways to practice speech on my own.

As an English teacher, most of my classes occur on the weekends and at night. Which of course is when most people will have free time. My free time is during the weekdays when most people are working. To get around this, I often go to the neighboring college and make conversation with students out playing basketball or something. But this is limited. Being an English teacher can be a little rough when it comes to socializing. But enough of my rant...

Edited by jasoninchina on 20 November 2011 at 3:31am

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5526 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 29
26 November 2011 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
I try to spend 15 minutes a day reading about one chapter from my grammar book. The first
time you finish the book, you have a pretty good idea about the language's grammar. By
the time you've gone through it two or three more times, it becomes much easier to see
the connections between grammatical concepts and you'll remember most of it. If you still
have trouble, try rewriting the chapter in your own words without referencing the book.
That will give you a pretty good idea of what you don't really understand and what you
need to work on.
4 persons have voted this message useful

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4972 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 14 of 29
12 December 2011 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
How much one gets from a grammar depends on a number of variables. You'll get a lot more out of it if you've a good grounding in grammatical terms in your own and preferably another language - otherwise you have start learning the language of grammar itself!!

Another very important variable is to have what I refer to as 'massive exposure' by which I mean you've listened to and read a lot and continue to do so. In a sense if you read a construction in a grammar that won't mean you've acquired it so in that sense grammar study can lead to frustration.

My views on grammar owe alot to Stephen Krashen though not 100%. I think there are two systems (at least) involved. One is a tacit, intuitive sense of language, the second is more formal and conscious. If all of your grammatical knowledge is at the formal, conscious level it will take a lot longer to recall the grammatical systems involved and one can become preoccupied with accuracy to the point of being over aware of mistakes and this can seriously hinder fluency, leading to a loss of confidence.

So in my mind's eye grammar study should not exceed 10% of the contact with the language (reading, listening etc). This is just my view of things. It kind of leads to (say) seeing a construction or point of grammar many, many times (20-100) and then studying it in a formal way, followed again by many, many instances of exposure. This way when you meet the point of grammar in a formal setting you've already come across it somewhere so it's not totally new and after (hopefully) understanding it better and, in the end, at a more intuitive level.

Osmosis will, in my view, go along way, but formal study of grammar can help the process, especially where the expressions are distinct from your native langauage and need a bit more working on. I think grammar's a great way to develop usage.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 29
13 December 2011 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Well, if you can't speak as much as you'd like to, try to make writing fluency your focus. If you can write it without thinking, it's easy to go to being able to say it without thinking. Well, Mandarin is different from Spanish in this regard, but still.

I'm in the same situation, in all my Romance languages I can understand a lot more than I can say. I'm also quite shy and I don't have any plans to go to these countries yet (though my mum wants to go to Italy), so I've made writing fluency my first target.

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5166 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 

Message 16 of 29
13 December 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
It's interesting you should say that. The last few weeks I have been journaling in Chinese. Every time I sit down to write, I have been trying to put in more and more new sentence structures. Part of my problem is that I have a habit of relying too heavily on elementary grammar. This gives me a chance to try out new things and have it looked at by my tutor.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version