hypersport
United States
Joined 5816 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 70
18 November 2011 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu:

Personally if I read silently I can hear my own voice when I'm reading the same as when I'm speaking.

When I first started reading books in Spanish I noticed that if I read silently, I wasn't focused on nailing the accent or the pronunciation. I could here my voice the way it sounds when I speak English as I read the Spanish.   I could mispronounce a word here and there but I would just continue on with the story. I understood that I was understanding what I was reading, but I also recognized that I was wasting an opportunity to work on the speaking part of it.

So I started reading out loud trying to read as if a native speaker was listening to me. I wanted to make sure that I would be understood so I paid close attention to what I was doing and repeated stuff that gave me problems. Stuff that I knew needed work.

Reading silently if you slip here or there you can just keep cruising, enjoying the story. But out loud, if it matters to you, you will go back and re-read things that you know aren't sounding good enough.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 18 of 70
18 November 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
Here's the thing Caintear, you're like a professional troll around here.

You notice, of course, that Cainntear has two and a half thousand usefulness votes.

Edited by Ari on 18 November 2011 at 9:38am

7 persons have voted this message useful

biki2
Diglot
Groupie
United States
vatoweb.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6957 days ago

57 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Catalan, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 19 of 70
18 November 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Well, in order to read with proper intonation, you need to "read ahead" by several
words, so that you can reconstruct the structure of the sentence.

This means that you only start speaking once you've finished reading -- you are not
simply "reading aloud", you're actually "reading and repeating", and that
means you're trying to do two things with the language channel at once.

As I say, though, I heard this quite a while ago and I couldn't give any citations.
Further studies may have shown this wrong, too.

My father used to be a professional radio announcer, and he once told me they learn to
read slightly ahead of their voice for precisely the reason you site -- so
they don't mess up the intonation. It is definitely a specialized skill that doesn't
come naturally to most people.

Edited by biki2 on 18 November 2011 at 8:53am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 20 of 70
18 November 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
Personally if I read silently I can hear my own voice when I'm reading the same as when I'm speaking.

I tend to believe so too, and then I really read aloud and have to realize I can't pronounce vehicle correctly or mess up the stress on 'chief executive' because I don't treat it as one prosodic word.

Edited by Bao on 18 November 2011 at 6:04pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6040 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 21 of 70
18 November 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
I read aloud, but the problem is that I'm concentrating so hard on pronunciation that I
miss most of the meaning. Even with texts where I know many of the words, this happens.
Consequently I have to read the passage again, silently, in order to grasp what it's saying.
My brain can't cope with reading aloud yet, it wants to choose between concentrating on
pronunciation or comprehension. I hope my brain will eventually learn to process simultaneously.

Not having practice in speech or conversation may have something to do with it.

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4817 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 22 of 70
18 November 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
Here's the thing Caintear, you're like a professional troll around here. In other forums they don't feed the trolls, they just ignore them. You on the other hand have a full time job here trying to nitpick stuff just to stir the pot, it's unreal. I gotta wonder how a guy has enough time in his day to 1, have over 4,000 posts and 2, come off as such an ignorant fool so often??

I already said that I witnessed kids in grade school that had trouble reading out loud in front of the class. Not that easy for everyone, but for most we had no problem at all. Maybe you're one of the few that can't read out loud very well, even in your native language. Hey, if that's the case, no big deal, but you gotta be kidding me? Are you gonna try and tell me that you can't see the advantages of trying to attain smooth natural speech by reading out loud in the language that you're studying? I can't even go there, you can't be that ignorant. Well maybe, because you're actually trying to have me read the sentence with the orange above prove some point that I can't anticipate...jesus.

Reading out loud in your L2 is an exercise dude. We are trying to attain natural sounding speech that we can then replicate when we get opportunities to speak with native speakers. You know, so we don't have to hunt and peck for words. We're trying to get better. We're exercising the mouth, the accent, the pronunciation...we're speaking and reading at the same time. Quite the concept eh??    

This is one of the most polite and useful sites I've come across. Let's keep it that way.

I see this place as a spontaneous grassroots research center into the best practices of language learning, so nitpicking theoretical issues is not necessarily a bad thing, it's often just thoughtfulness in practice.

I've waded through a lot of these discussions while trying to figure out what approaches to take, and most often, they are very helpful for understanding what might or might not work well for me.

Edit to add: your description above about hearing an inner voice while reading silently is exactly my experience as well (even in L1, though I can often "turn off" the inner voice if I'm in a hurry to read faster than speech). My inner monologue tends to be very clear, almost like I'm listening to it from the outside, so I do experience the same pronunciation thoughts.

Edited by Hendrek on 18 November 2011 at 1:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 23 of 70
18 November 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I recall hearing a few years ago that studies had found this to be a cognitively difficult task.

I don't consider reading aloud to be a good general technique.

However...
That's not to say it's a bad thing. If you're at the level to do it correctly, it may be good as a "stretch" exercise, working on your speed and flexibility. I've always been afraid of simultaneous translation, so I might start using reading aloud as a way to improve my timeslicing....
I wouldn't say not to do it,

I'm always amazed at what Cainntear comes up with. But this is a democracy, and freedom of speech is a fundamental right. It's quite plain that nearly everybody else thinks that reading aloud is a good idea, for all the reasons that have already been given. There are a few points that I would like to make, however.

One must not confuse written and spoken language. Unless you are reading passages of dialogues, the prose you are reading is not really the language of conversations or speeches. In fact, and depending on the genre, written fiction is far removed from everyday speech. In French for example, there are certain tenses like the simple past or the imperfect subjunctive that are common in fiction but extremely rare in the spoken language.

If you're especially interested the spoken language, you may want to consider other genres besides novels. I've found transcripts of speeches very useful, especially if you can get the recordings. With a bit of snooping on the internet, I have found transcripts of speeches by Spanish politicians. Regardless of what you may think of his politics, President Obama is a fabulous speaker and printed version of many of his speeches are freely available. This is like karaoke.

Comic books are excellent sources of examples of spoken language. Often the typography gives visual clues to the intonation.

You may also want to consider reading plays. They are meant for the spoken voice and recordings are often available. You would probably want to choose modern plays with more contemporary language rather than something like Shakespeare or Molière.

5 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 24 of 70
18 November 2011 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
Personally if I read silently I can hear my own voice when I'm reading the same as when I'm
speaking.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I assign a voice to the author. I read out loud all the time, if I'm by
myself. I find it very useful. But not in English or Spanish. I have reached my goals in those languages. To me,
continuing to use a learning technique like this after one has reached their desired level is a waste of time. I prefer
to use the language in the same way a native would. There is a time to wean oneself off of all learning techniques
like reading out loud, flashcards, textbooks, etc. I recommend maintaining the language by doing what you learned
it for. Maintain it by using it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version