bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 57 of 70
14 December 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
When I learned Samoan as a Peace Corps volunteer, reading aloud was one of the key techniques that brought me from survival level to FSI 4+. At one point in my learning I was frustrated because I found it difficult to understand radio broadcasts. The Samoan family I was living with ran out of batteries for the radio, we had no electricity on that side of the island, I didn't have any money to help, and it was about 6 weeks before we could listen to the radio again. During this time, most of my language learning consisted of reading Samoan newspapers and the Bible aloud. When we got batteries for the radio again, I discovered that the radio announcers were speaking slowly and clearly. I could even understand the lightning fast sports broadcasts. It was a thrill.
Clearly reading aloud worked for me.
steve

Either that or 6 weeks of immersion with a family did wonders. How long had you been with then at the beginning of this 6-week period?
1 person has voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4700 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 58 of 70
14 December 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Of course it is impossible to say whether the reading aloud was the factor; I was using Samoan much of the day. I had been working on Samoan for about 6 months when the "radio deprivation, reading aloud" started. During this period I also experienced an explosive growth in fluency and listening comprehension. I have to admit that the reading aloud may not have had any effect; it may have been the immersion.
My language learning goes at an uneven pace, with sudden spurts, and occasional setbacks. I know that the reading aloud increased my vocabulary. I would always go over my reading with a native speaker, who would help me with the meaning and pronunciation of words I did not know. Many times I had the common experience many language learners have of learning a new word, that they would say they had never heard before, and then hear the word in conversation 5 times before the day was out. At a slightly later stage, native speakers who were friends would say that I sounded like a radio announcer when I read, which may have been something I picked up reading the newspaper aloud. They meant the "radio announcer" thing as a compliment, but I had a lot to learn at that point about informal registers for hanging out with friends drinking beer or flirting with girls :)
steve

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 59 of 70
14 December 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
I have to admit that the reading aloud may not have had any effect; it may have been the immersion.

Thanks for clearing that up. That sounds very different from:

sfuqua wrote:
Clearly reading aloud worked for me.

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4700 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 60 of 70
14 December 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Using the CEFR to describe what happened during the 6 weeks of reading aloud 2 hours a day, I would say I went from B1 to C1. I happened to have FSI (ILR) language tests just before and just after this period, so translating from the FSI (ILR) scores using Wikipedia, B1 to C1 is about what happened.
My early language learning a Peace Corps volunteer was slow and frustrating. I learned little from 6 weeks of instruction; by the end of this time I was in the "slow" class, and I about all I could do was ask where the bathroom was and say that I was hungry (hopefully not in that order :). Memorizing the "phrasebook" that Peace Corps gave us and living in a place where almost no one spoke English moved me to B1. I really think I didn't study well in this time even though I worked at it; I think I should have been further along at that point. There were plenty of helpful native speakers, but no other materials to work with.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 61 of 70
14 December 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm tempted to try to learn the phonetics properly and read aloud in Danish :)

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4817 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 62 of 70
14 December 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
Using the CEFR to describe what happened during the 6 weeks of reading aloud 2 hours a day, I would say I went from B1 to C1.

I'd be thrilled to go from a B1 to a C1 using ANY method in just 6 weeks. Even while immersed, that seems to be a great deal of progress. Good job!

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4700 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 63 of 70
15 December 2011 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
My experience must be viewed as anecdotal, but it is difficult to imagine exactly how you would change it into a valid scientific experiment. When I was in grad school for applied linguistics, I talked with my thesis committee about trying to duplicate the experience with another language. It was difficult to figure out how we could get the thing to work. We could do a case study, but a case study is not an experiment. Anything we came up with either had poor external validity or poor internal validity. I eventually decided to do something simpler for my thesis, so I could get my degree finished.
It "felt" like I was getting better at reading aloud each day I practiced it. Reading aloud is a cognitively complex task. I never read anything that I didn't understand at least the gist of, so reading aloud for two hours involved complex processing of the target language for two hours. Gaining at least passive knowledge of 50 to 100 new words a day should have some effect on comprehension. Pronouncing hundreds of grammatical sentences that the reader comprehends should have some sort of practice effect.
I realize that correlation does not equal causation, and I realize that introspection can mislead one, but I used the method and I had good results. I also ate a lot of taro during this time; maybe it was the taro :)
steve

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 64 of 70
15 December 2011 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I've just realized that reading aloud in Ukrainian (a whole book!) helped me more than I thought it did. I always focused on the benefit of reading, I picked up a lot and it's natural that it helped me understand Ukrainian better - but also spoken Ukrainian!
Also, reading aloud is a skill in itself. I recorded a sound of myself reading a passage and my Ukrainian friend said few people from her school (where most/all subjects were taught in Russian) could read so fast and smoothly in Ukrainian.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version