Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 33
19 November 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
For me it has been the normal way to speak my foreign languages with non-native speakers for decades already! Simply because I had no cantact with native speakers of my foreign languages. So for it's very normal to speak with German people in a foreign language. That's what we do in our Esperanto-group every month. So I don't make a difference with this: Everyone who is motivated and has the language skills is welcome to speak any of my foreign languages with me. That's also what we do on Skype with polyglot skyping. We talk in all our common languages no matter what our native languages are. I expect more flexibility with this and I would find it very strange, if a German person said to me: "I don't want to speak Dutch with you because you don't have the Dutch nationality."

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 19 November 2011 at 4:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 10 of 33
19 November 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
It depends on what you mean by non native. In my own experience, non native speakers who've advanced to a native like level usually give better explanations of the tricky points, and I wouldn't turn down conversation practise with someone like that just because technically it's not their mother tongue. I'll pass on talking/listening to a lower level student though; that seems to me a complete waste of time and it's one of the biggest reasons why I don't like classroom learning.    
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 33
19 November 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
amethyst32 wrote:
It depends on what you mean by non native. In my own experience, non
native speakers who've advanced to a native like level usually give better explanations
of the tricky points, and I wouldn't turn down conversation practise with someone like
that just because technically it's not their mother tongue. I'll pass on
talking/listening to a lower level student though; that seems to me a complete waste of
time and it's one of the biggest reasons why I don't like classroom learning.    

Yes but what percentage of the non-native speakers you meet fit that category? 1% at
best?

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 12 of 33
19 November 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

Yes but what percentage of the non-native speakers you meet fit that category? 1% at
best?

Disclaimer: You must take into account that I often use bilingual English/Spanish chat rooms and other internet sites where you might expect to find a higher % of people in this category than in general. :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 33
21 November 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Personally I tend to disregard both pronunciation, grammar and lexicological intricacies when I listen to other language learners, unless I feel that they are very good. And that's how I want it to be - learning from people who can't speak/write better than me would be problematic, and it is generally not a problem to find native speakers to listen to on the internet. Learning from written sources produced by native speakers is slightly more complicated because many native speakers aren't too trustworthy when they write - and besides you can normally hear when you are dealing with a native speaker so that you can decide whether you want to accept input, but good second language learners can fool me when they write.

However there is one caveat: really good second language learners may actually speak more clearly than lazy native speakers, maybe because they still have a faint recollection of their own past learning process. But I still tend to assimilate speech patterns more readily from a person whom I have accepted as a genuine native.

At the other end of the scale, listening to really bad learners is a nightmare (like listening to an extremely bad recording through a lot of background noise), and that's also why I am wary about torturing others by speaking too early - although I recognize that for my own personal purposes it would probably be more efficient to babble happily along from the start. It is also one main factor behind my stern decision never again to follow a regular course in any language.

Edited by Iversen on 21 November 2011 at 10:55pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 14 of 33
21 November 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
I really avoid it, so when it does happen, it's harder to understand than with a native. Strange but true, at least in my
case.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5142 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 33
22 November 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
For me, the advantages (being able to practice expressing myself on a wide variety of typical conversational subjects which is hard to replicate by talking to myself) outweigh the disadvantages (possibility of picking up incorrect usage, frustration from dealing with beginners, temptation to explain things in English) so I do it. I'd rather speak to natives all the time, but since I can't, speaking to learners is much better than nothing. I think that in my particular situation where I have a good knowledge of the language and do a lot of listening to native materials, but need more practice producing it, other learners' mistakes aren't a big issue for me because I notice most of them and recognise that they're mistakes. Someone telling me about how they lived in France "pour un annĂ©e" is never going to seem correct no matter how many times I hear it (which is surprisingly frequently). Of course my knowledge isn't perfect and there will be some errors that I hear but won't recognise as such. But I generally take everything a learner says with a pinch of salt unless they're clearly at a very high level, and as I say I feel that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 16 of 33
22 November 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
For me, the advantages ... outweigh the disadvantages ... so I do it.
I'd rather speak to natives all the time, but since I can't, speaking to learners is
much better than nothing.

I think it is probably a lot better than the "purists" believe. If properly
supplemented with native audio/video/chats, I think speaking to other L2 learners could
be very productive, I did such an L2-L2 for a couple of months, and stopped for other
reasons. I found the big advantage was that I was very relaxed. It was very much easier
than chatting with a native. We did lots of things like chatting about various web
sites, photos, language issues, etc.

Challenge: I'd like to try it again.

L2 language: Dutch
My conversation level: Between B1 - B2.
(I think it is very important for the levels to be quite close to each other)
Medium: Skype or similar
How much: Quite a bit. Several hours per week.

Any takers? Lets give it a go. PM me.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version