Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4295 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 1 of 23
01 December 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
The French numbers are easy up through #69. Starting with 70, they get bizarre. 70 = Soixante dix (or sixty and ten). Then 80 is Quatre-vingt (4 times 20). Then 90 is the really weird one: Quatre-vingt dix (4 times 20 plus 10). If that weren't bizarre enough already, you've got to remember to count the 70s and 90s by adding 11, 12, 13 etc. to the prior 10 denomination. In other words 71 is 60 plus 11, 72 is 60 plus 12, etc. Same thing with the 90s, but not with the 80s.

Wow, really bizarre. Please tell me this gets easier with practice. I think maybe I'll take a day and only work on the 70s without worrying about the others. Then take a day for the 80s, a day for the 90s, etc. These seem too confusing to try to #$%^ with all at once.

I found out also that Swiss French uses a variant:
septante (70)
octante/huitante (80)
nonamte (90)

Wow, I wish the Swiss variant had caught on as the standard. It's way easier and more logical. I'm going to learn both the French and Swiss versions because I intend to visit both countries. I'm also going to Canada and may even live there. Does anyone know whether Canadians use the French or the Swiss version of the numbers?

Please, please, Canada, use the Swiss variant.

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5781 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 23
01 December 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Spinchäeb Ape wrote:
   Does anyone know whether Canadians use the French or the Swiss
version of the numbers?

Please, please, Canada, use the Swiss variant.

Sorry Spinchäeb Ape, no such luck, we use the France French version, but it seems to
work reasonably well and everyone's math skills are kept in practice. You may find the
attached link to audio practice with numbers of assistance, especially the ones which
present an audio clip of random numbers.

french.about.com - audio -
numbers

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4532 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 23
02 December 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I use septante and nonante, but say quatre-vingts. That's the standard in Belgium.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6728 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 4 of 23
02 December 2012 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Fortunately, it does get easier with practice. At some point you just stop thinking,
and understand all these numbers automatically. I still have sometimes problems with
longer numbers though.

I also recommend using french.about.com, the random number (60-99) generator was my
favorite (http://french.about.com/library/begin/bl-numbers19.htm). I was closing my
eyes, and guessing the numbers. I practiced probably about 15-20 minutes a day for one
or two weeks, and it improved my number comprehension immensely. In my own speech I say
septante and nonante though, and if anyone gives me a strange look, I explain them that
I've learned French in Switzerland.

By the way, huitante is used in Switzerland indeed but quatre-vingts is more common. If
I remember correctly, huitante is used mostly in the Vaud canton.

Edited by Julie on 02 December 2012 at 1:38am

5 persons have voted this message useful

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4595 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 5 of 23
02 December 2012 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Spinchäeb Ape wrote:

nonamte (90)

Slightly offtopic, but note that the letter "m" in nasal sounds is only used before labials (b, m, p).

Edited by FELlX on 02 December 2012 at 1:41am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5591 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 23
02 December 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
You'll get used to it. The times when you automatically say a number correctly and then need to double-check because it seemed so easy are fun.

And whenever you feel like it's too complicated, take a look at this.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4490 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 23
02 December 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
If there's any situation in your life where you have arbitrary numbers coming at you, try and use that. For example, I had a job for a while where I had to deal with numbered boxes, and each time I saw a box's number, I would try to remember the French word for it. Or you can also practice while driving or riding in a car, with the numbers of roads, exits, or addresses.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4734 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 23
02 December 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I have found Pimsleur to be very good at practicing numbers. Unlike most courses where they just teach you to count, the numbers are used in more random orders, and they will ask you to say things like 65 followed by 75. For the numbers 1-20 they have a few sections where they ask you to do basic addition. Nothing has helped me more, and I've played the same "game" with my 10 year old son to practice his French numbers.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version