Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Color: Can it help you learn a language?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Morada
Diglot
United States
Joined 5830 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 17 of 27
23 October 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
josht wrote:
I attempted using colors to help me learn the gender of German nouns, but I found that it often hindered me more than it helped. I used red for masculine, green for neuter, and blue for feminine. The problem was, when I would try to remember the word, I'd have another "piece" attached to the memory - was the word red, green, or blue? And then if I remembered the color incorrectly, I obviously ended up with the wrong gender as well.

I abandoned the practice, and have found that the best way to become proficient at knowing the gender of German words is to simply learn a lot of German words. You get a feel for it.

i'm not sure if German is the same as Spanish, but i found that if i tried to assosciate an aspect of the verb in English to being a male or female thing in Spanish, the gender stuck, for example.   El reloj- a watch is worn by a BUSINESS man- el being a masculine noun, or la palabra-word....women talk too much :) (i have license to say this I'm a woman! )

It's these bridges and associations that allow our brain to remember things. i think for everyone they may be different. Some people like the simplicity of relating something to a color, but other people need to relate it to something goofy they will remember, while others simply have to remember it straight out, because no association seems to work for them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pitwo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 6094 days ago

103 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 18 of 27
23 October 2008 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
crackpot wrote:
When I was learning French I colored in a map of the world, blue for masculine countries, pink for feminine countries.

Wow that's interesting --- I had never realized we give gender to the countries as well !

Anyway, colors don't do much for me unfortunately. When I was learning German getting correct genders was a bit difficult..
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 19 of 27
24 October 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Tony Buzan likes his "mind maps" to be as colourful as possible, I suspect because colours can be useful as a memory trigger. Using colour in language-learning probably stimulates the memory better.

If I don't use colour, I try to make words and phrases I want to learn stand out in other ways. For example, I might write useful vocabulary in larger than usual letters and in softer, darker pencil than the standard HB. Or I might use thick felt tip.

jody
United States
Joined 6173 days ago

242 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Bulgarian

Message 20 of 27
24 October 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:
I usually just learn the article as part of the word so for example instead of telling my self that Mann (Man) is masculine and Frau (Woman) is feminine in German I just learn Dermann and Diefrau as if the article and the noun were one word.

I do this also with Spanish. With Spanish it is usually intuitive which nouns are masculine and feminine. But some are not. For example, when I learned the word for day (el dia), i just learned it with the "el". Now, even though it ends with an "a", for me to say "la dia" just sounds wrong. You have to learn each word anyway, why not attach the article from the start?

Pandameisje
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5814 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German
Studies: French

Message 21 of 27
24 October 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I never thought of using colors to distinguish between masculine and feminine, but I feel it could be a good idea to try. Usually I learn very well with colors and visual aids, so there's a large chance that it could help. Either way it won't hurt to try.

I suppose it all depends on what type of learner you are..

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 7081 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 22 of 27
24 October 2008 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I like the idea. I will be trying it.

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 6022 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 27
25 October 2008 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
You'd probably have more success with smell. If I recall correctly, your olfactory sense is directly linked to your memory-center. I'll need to double check that, but...sounds right.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5270 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 24 of 27
29 September 2010 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I am a visual learner so I find colours an excellent tool to use in language learning. When I make French word lists, I make masculine nouns green and feminine nouns yellow-orange. This way I only have to look at a word once and the next time I see it written in black, I can easily see it's colour in my mind and I know what gender it is. I used to get genders mixed up all the time but since I've started doing this, I hardly ever get a gender wrong anymore. I also use colours for verbs, different verb tenses and I'm going to use them to learn cases for Old English as well.

I was a bit hesitant to use colours at first because I have synaesthesia and I was afraid the gender-colour was going to mess with the word's real colour but I find I can easily switch off the gender-colour and it doesn't influence the word's real colours at all. Actually, feminine words have feminine colours and masculine words have masculine colours remarkably often. So often in fact, that I've developed an instinct for the gender of a word, so I can often guess what the gender will be before I look it up.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version