Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Color: Can it help you learn a language?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
fireflies
Joined 5116 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 27
30 September 2010 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
In my small bits of reading about Mandarin I came across a book called 'Chinese through Tone and Color"

For some reason the colors were helpful in separating the tones of the 100 characters included in the book. I can't imagine learning all the chaarcters there are with colors but it helped as an introduction for someone with no clue abou tones. The pleasing and bold graphic design helped too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ketutar
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 4718 days ago

20 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French, Italian, Maltese

Message 26 of 27
31 October 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Morada wrote:
women talk too much :) (i have license to say this I'm a woman!)

No, you don't. No-one has the license to use generalizations, because it's just as harmful when you do it as when a person-not-member-of-the-group does it. It's not even a joke, as the meaning of it effects you in spite your better knowledge. You will get the feeling you talk too much because you are a woman, and you will try to limit you, it's easier to shut you up, or for you to wait someone else (usually a man) says what needs to be said. So, no, you don't have a license to say it.
Naturally, no-one can tell you what you may or may not say, you have the right to say anything, but it's not always right, sensible or good thing... but that's a whole another can of worms :-D

Nevertheless, that's not the point of your story, and I'm nitpicking. Sorry about that.

The main thing is that what ever works, use it. When studying languages, no-one needs to know how I remember the words, and I can use all my prejudices, chauvinims, inbred idioticies and filth I carry as "hooks", like remembering the gender of French train (le train) and train station (la gare) through the sexual connotations. In that sense "women talk too much" would be a great way of remembering that 'word' in Spanish [la palabra] is feminine, because I'm so darn tired of that saying, and it's ALWAYS said by a male, who speaks "too much". :-D That *I* have gender AND "race" prejudices about Spanish men being misogynists would only help me remembering this.

In that case one doesn't need to care about being PC, and one can put pink socks on every feminine word and blue socks on masculine words - and green socks on neuters, as yellow is such a light color - as much as you like. If it helps you to picture a German cat with pink socks named "Katze", a German dog with blue socks named "Hund" and a German horse with green socks named "Pherd", you do that. If you need, you can make the horse a cross-dresser - named "Pherdinand", but called "Pherdie"... I know, really bad, but if it helps you to remember horse is neuter in German - good.

------------------------------

I haven't encountered the idea of making feminines pink and masculines blue (or any other color that works for you) but I like it, because I use flashcards a lot.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 27 of 27
31 October 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I don't consistently use color in my language study, but when I got my first introduction with Japanese via Mango Languages Database, they present the parts of speech in color. I think that really helped form how I think about Japanese.

It would have the English language sentence colored for things like the verb, the subject, the object, and other grammatical elements. Then in the Japanese sentences it would highlight the corresponding words the same color. All verbs might be green, and all subjects might be blue, for example.

Because I got used to chunking my information and rearranging it thanks to the color blocks, it's how I approach Japanese grammar and one reason I find it not so impossible as its reputation.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version