Diglot
Norway
Joined 5844 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 6
24 July 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Thought I'd start a thread where we could all share the very best organic material we've come across online for the languages we're studying or already know, the kind of sites you keep going back to because they're simply hilarious and so cleverly written that you just can't stay away... The kind where reading the words in them is as enjoyable as their content, sometimes more. Funny blogs, well-written commentaries, I imagine we all know of a few gems - so share yours here!

Please do not turn this into the thread for linking to everything that could possibly be useful or enjoyable to read in your native or target language. Those can go in the appropriate learning logs or 'The (insert language here) thread' for your language or other threads in this forum... Pick the best ones, ones you'd recommend even to native speakers, ones you wish people who don't even speak your language could have the pleasure of reading.

The sites should be aimed at and written for natives, so that there's no filtering of what might be too difficult for foreigners to understand. The point, besides having something fun to read, is obviously to learn something new and interesting, in our target language or even our native language. And the for-natives sites are usually more fun to read anyway :-)

I'll start:

Italian
Personalità confusa - Another user on this forum pointed this out to me (grazie mille!) - a blog about anything and everything (seriously), some truly bizarre topics - this actually had me laughing out loud at work today. Danger!

Norwegian
Opplysningskontoret - Fictional news inspired by real events... Some rather intense cultural commentary if you read between the lines. Fun, even for a native speaker.
Pondus - I guess this site was originally centered around one of the funniest comics in Norway, but it seems they've branched out and now cover a million different random topics, most of which I'm not necessarily interested in but would read just for their way of writing! I'd start with reading their thoughts on Eurovision 2009...

Anybody else? :-)

Liz

Edited by Lizzern on 24 July 2009 at 5:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5632 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 6
24 July 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:

Italian
Personalità confusa - Another user on this forum pointed this
out to me (grazie mille!) - a blog about anything and everything (seriously), some truly bizarre topics - this
actually had me laughing out loud at work today. Danger!
Liz

So you did love the guy's texts?

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5844 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 6
24 July 2009 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I did! He's awesome. Got any other gems up your sleeve?

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5632 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 6
24 July 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
I did! He's awesome. Got any other gems up your sleeve?

I had to look up three (!) words of your sentence to understand it, ho capito!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6613 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 5 of 6
24 July 2009 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I really like the Swedish Tjuvlyssnat site with overheard conversations. I think it can be great for those who are advanced in Swedish and want to learn some colloquial speech. The sister site Tjuvtittat is also brilliant.

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 6014 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
24 July 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Norwegian:
For news related to IT, computer hardware, gaming, photography and cellphones check out Tek.no. A great news source, I visit it every day.

If you're only interested in parts of their news, check their sub-sites amobil(cellphone), akam(photography), hardware(computer hardware), spillverket(gaming).

Edit: for English, I highly recommend the satire newspaper The Onion. Their "editor" recently announced that the newspaper has been "sold to the Chinese", which gives us brilliant articles such as "Potato-faced Youngster Lauded for Memorizing Primitive 26-character Alphabet". ^^

Edited by mrhenrik on 25 July 2009 at 10:53am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version