Canada
atommo.com
Joined 5485 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 1
22 September 2009 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
I've found a few handy apps for the iPod/Iphone that I'd recommend.

'Human Japanese' is a digital book (with minigames), complete with inline pronunciation. So far I'm enjoying it. It was $9.99. (You can always use BarginBin to watch for sales on various apps)

'Hiragana' is a simple flash card app. I'm not a fan of the interface but it was free.

'iKana' is the iPod sibling to the Mac app. It's another flash card app, but with a very nice interface, the ability to practice wrong answers or pick sets of Hiragana and Katakana. It include the sets of Dakuon, Handakuon, and Youon for both as well. $4.99 (which is less than half the price of the OSX version)

'KanjiBox' is the iPod version of the Facebook application. Another flash card drilling app, concentrating on Kanji. 4 symbols are provided, and you must choose the correct one from the kana and English words provided. $2.99

'Kotoba!' is a free English/Japanese dictionary which utilizes JMDict. It has a basic interface, and is straightforward to use.

Excite Japan also has a few simple apps that post daily articles from their women's section - the ones I tried featured cute animals and food. They're entirely in Japanese so it's good beginner practice without falling back on romanji.

Hope people find these useful :)

I've also just checked out the Smart.FM website tonight and have been playing around with the lessons. Seems useful as well.

Cheers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version