vavarazzi
United States
Joined 5864 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Vietnamese

Message 1 of 8
29 May 2011 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone! First of all, I've been lurking this forum since high school but have never gotten around to posting...so here I am! Nice to finally talk with all of you.

Anyways, I know that this is primarily a forum for people who study languages on their own, but I am being presented with a unique opportunity this upcoming year to potentially study 3 languages at once in university. I'm just wondering....is this a horrible idea?

From what I understand, learning 3 languages from scratch at the same time is definitely bad, but what about when these languages are all at different stages?

Basically, I have to take a 500-level advanced technical Japanese course, as well as a complete beginner's level Vietnamese course, for my program requirements. Those things are set in stone. I'm at an advanced enough level in Japanese that I feel no threat to my proficiency from starting Vietnamese.

But I realized...because of the way I've set things up, I have an empty spot in my schedule for the whole year. Since I have no other requirements, I would love to put Spanish there! I studied Spanish for one year in community college, and I don't think it would take much brushing up during the summer to get back to the level I was before. (I don't know if it makes a difference in the decision, but I wanted to note that I had an okay proficiency in reading and writing but was never really very good at speaking.)

My parents and friends are worried that I'll be overwhelmed, but being a lover of language, it sounds totally fun to me....and my goal in life is to be at least trilingual anyway, so why not? It's not like I'm starting from scratch with three different ones.

I'd call my current self lower-advanced Japanese, upper-beginner Spanish, and completely-from-scratch beginner Vietnamese.

So I ask you...do you think this kind of thing is doable? And how would you guys suggest dividing up the time after classes toward maintaining the three languages? Japanese is the most important language to me, if that means anything.

Thanks!

Edited by vavarazzi on 29 May 2011 at 1:54am

1 person has voted this message useful

vavarazzi
United States
Joined 5864 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Studies: Japanese, Vietnamese

Message 3 of 8
29 May 2011 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Oh, yes, forgot to mention that. This is my last year in university and I've completed all the requirements for my degree otherwise. I'm a Japanese major so yeah, no engineering or anything.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4894 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 4 of 8
29 May 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
I'm new to learning languages, but I personally would go for it. I've just finished
university and wish I would have taken advantage of the resources that were provided
free for me, such as language classes. Even more so it gives you a good footing in the
language such as Vietnamese so that you can progress to a more advanced level with it
after your studies have ended at university.

I can't really give much advice, but I know if I had the option again I would do it
even if only supplementary to my own language study at home.

I also wouldn't let others make you doubt your ability to deal with those languages all
at once, if you feel you can do it, go for it.

Hope your studies go well!

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 8
29 May 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Sounds good to me. I'd recommend getting hold of the Michel Thomas Foundation and Advanced courses in Spanish and doing them over the summer -- from the way you describe your level, I think you'll get a lot out of it, and the Spanish classes next year should be a walkover, leaving you more time to focus on the Japanese and Vietnamese.

Alacritas
Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 4863 days ago

24 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German, Latin, Bulgarian

Message 6 of 8
30 May 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Go for it! You sound motivated and enthusiastic -- the two most important factors in
language learning, in my opinion. If you put in the time, you'll be fine. And like
Cainntear said, since you already took some Spanish, that won't be as hard. I know
everyone says Spanish is super easy and then other people yell and scream that it's not,
but Spanish is definitely easier in the beginning than most languages. It gets hard later,
but by that time you've already got a foundation in the language. I don't think there'll
be a problem mixing up any of the three languages, either...haha

adamtk
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4736 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 7 of 8
04 October 2011 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
From my own experience. The mind was willing, but the uni was unable :P

It was annoying. I was attempting Japanese (as a major) and Spanish as a minor. The trouble was spacing out the tutorials so you have time to mentally switch languages before class. One session almost did my head in when I had schedualed a Spanish tutorial straight after a Japanese lecture. There was a Spanish exam that day, and I had only 30 seconds between one class to the next, and mentally switch languages.

To cut a complicated story short, I ended up failing the Spanish test by completely forgetting that I had answered the questions in Japanese!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 8 of 8
04 October 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Put me down for "bad idea."

Don't worry about wasting your time or the opportunity that college presents - there
ought to be dozens, maybe hundreds, of interesting courses at your university. Take one
in a new field. You'll have ample opportunity in life to learn Spanish on your own.

Or to put it another way: use this opportunity to do Japanese and Vietnamese right!
50/50, not 33/33/33.

People I know who are truly multi-lingual say the first language is very hard, the next
one is also very but maybe slightly less so,the third one is just hard, and then it
starts getting a little bit easier.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version