Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 29
16 August 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I would think Assimil would be the nearest thing to what you're looking for here. Sure it doesn't have the English translation. But if you study lessons at home, you can later listen to the audio on your commute and internalize the sentences.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 10 of 29
16 August 2011 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
As I remember, both these series read in English once and then in the target language once.

Hello
Bonjour
My name is smallwhite
Je m'appelle petiteblanche
etc

LINK 1

LINK 2

And how well do you understand Mandarin? A LOT of Taiwanese books are like that, even reading the target language twice, once normally and once slowly.

誰是小白? (in Mandarin)
Qui est petiteblanche ?
QQuuiiii eesstt ppeettitebbllaaanccchhheee ?

Edited by smallwhite on 16 August 2011 at 9:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 29
16 August 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Which language are you looking for? There are sample sentences with audio on tatoeba.org for Chinese and for French. Many don't seem to have English audio as well, but you could add that using TTS.
I am too lazy to try to come up with a procedure to turn those sentences into interlaced audio files, but I am sure it won't be too difficult.

... but wouldn't that be quite boring? I prefer listening repeatedly to my favourite audiobooks, podcasts, documentaries and movies even when I need a lot of repetition until I understand them over listening to random content, even or especially when I'm presented with a translation for it.

resinteralios
Brazil
Joined 4835 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Studies: English

Message 12 of 29
16 August 2011 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
Takato wrote:
The best way is making the sentances (hereafter referred to as sentences) by yourself. It will contain the sentences of your own choice so it'll be unique.

Well, just as long as the sentences are actually good examples. But only someone competent in the language can identify good examples....

Assuming that someone uses a reasonable source of translated sentences (say, a typical book translated by a human being), a corpus of thousands of pairs makes it fairly difficult to entirely leave out major concepts and words, and also helps smooth out the effect of the almost inevitable minor translation glitches.

For intensively studying small amounts of sentences, or for studying specific points, you are of course correct.

Sorry about the offtopic message, but Volte, your PM inbox is full and I'd like to send you a message regarding a subject that probably won't be welcome in the forums. Is there a way we can get in touch?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 29
17 August 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
Thanks. Any good sites for these multilingual audiobooks?

Unfortunately, no. There are plenty of sites with audiobooks in multiple languages, but rarely for the same stories. Your best bet is probably to pick a book that you like that is fairly widely translated and has an audiobook in your target language, and check that it has an audiobook in English as well (or resort to reading ahead of time, as Jeffers suggested with Assimil - a recommendation I can second. A few years ago, I spent a fair amount of time re-listening, as I walked around, to the Assimil lessons I'd just studied).

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 14 of 29
18 August 2011 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
How about a combination of these programs:

-Language 30
-Learn in Your Car
-In-Flight

These recordings give the English first (rather than second) followed by the foreign phrase. They especially focus on highly useful phrases too (unlike a lot of audio books). I'd suggest starting with these programs and then moving on to audio books after you've gotten decent in whichever languages you are trying to learn. Starting with audio books is great if you plan to use the L-R method, but they're not so good for commuting in my opinion unless you're already at the point where you can understand the majority of what you hear in the language.

Of these programs, I personally like Language 30 the best even though it's a short program because each foreign phrase is said very clearly and is repeated; so I've always been able to perceive the pronunciation better with this program than with the other two. It comes with a little phrase booklet also, so you can see how everything is spelled (and it's small enough to stick in your pocket, so you can easily keep it with you and pull it out if you find yourself waiting in line, etc.) Unfortunately, Language 30 is only available on cassette tape for some languages (although some of the bigger languages are available on CD). I've definitely found these sort of programs helpful in the past. And they are ideal for commuting, waiting, etc., and there is a lot more jammed into these programs than something good, but very slow and sparse like Pimsleur.

Edited by RMM on 18 August 2011 at 6:54am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 29
18 August 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
How about a combination of these programs:

-Language 30
-Learn in Your Car
-In-Flight

These recordings give the English first (rather than second) followed by the foreign phrase. They especially focus on highly useful phrases too (unlike a lot of audio books). I'd suggest starting with these programs and then moving on to audio books after you've gotten decent in whichever languages you are trying to learn. Starting with audio books is great if you plan to use the L-R method, but they're not so good for commuting in my opinion unless you're already at the point where you can understand the majority of what you hear in the language.

Of these programs, I personally like Language 30 the best even though it's a short program because each foreign phrase is said very clearly and is repeated; so I've always been able to perceive the pronunciation better with this program than with the other two. It comes with a little phrase booklet also, so you can see how everything is spelled (and it's small enough to stick in your pocket, so you can easily keep it with you and pull it out if you find yourself waiting in line, etc.) Unfortunately, Language 30 is only available on cassette tape for some languages (although some of the bigger languages are available on CD). I've definitely found these sort of programs helpful in the past. And they are ideal for commuting, waiting, etc., and there is a lot more jammed into these programs than something good, but very slow and sparse like Pimsleur.

Good advice. I haven't used those programs extensively (I think I may have a couple of almost-unused CDs sitting around somewhere from years before I really got into language learning), so I can't comment on them specifically, but I almost agree about what you said about audiobooks. You don't need to be at a level where you can understand most of what you hear unaided to benefit from using audiobooks that you have previous exposure to the content of while you're working out, but it certainly does help to have at least some understanding of the language in that situation. An 'intermediate' passive level, either from prior study or from knowing a closely related language goes a long way in this situation.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5282 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 16 of 29
18 August 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
I'm interested in learning a target language by listening to thousands of sentances followed by their English translation. The problem is, I don't know where I can find thousands of sentances in audio format followed by the English translation in various languages, are they available? [...]

Well, probably it doesn’t give you thousands of sentences, but at least Book2 has the kind of format you are looking for. You can download the audio (free and legal) and start learning immediately (and, hopefully, while you study with Book2, you’ll manage to find other resources).

There are many language combinations available: here you can find English to several L2 audio files. And if you want you can also buy the book.

Good luck with your language learning!

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version