Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6175 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 17 of 29
18 August 2011 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
I was just toying with this idea to myself today, and now I see this topic. It's not so difficult to do it yourself if you have parallel texts with audio, but is it worth the effort? As Volte suggests it's probably better listening to a story chapter by chapter.

But there are sentences available commercially, at least with a German base. I have Langenscheidt's Vokabeltrainer for French, Italian, Spanish and English.

http://www.langenscheidt.de/produkt/5302/Langenscheidt_Vokab eltrainer_60_Englisch-DVD-ROM/978-3-468-91165-1

It's based on their Grundwortschatz series (ordered by theme, containing 3-4000 words with example sentences) but with different sentences. It's a pretty advanced SRS with words and sentences recorded by native speakers. You can add your own sentences (and languages) and export them as mp3:s. You can choose between words, sentenses or both, what srs algorithm to use if you want them repeated, the length of the audio files and the order of L1-L2. For instance you can have the word followed by the sentence for that word as L2-L1-L2.

There is also a forum:

http://vokabeln.communityhost.de/

/aloysius

Edited by aloysius on 18 August 2011 at 11:07pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 29
18 August 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
aloysius wrote:
I was just toying with this idea to myself today, and now I see this topic. It's not so difficult to do it yourself if you have parallel texts with audio, but is it worth the effort? As Volte suggests it's probably better listening to a story chapter by chapter.

But there are sentences available commercially, at least with a German base. I have Langenscheidt's Vokabeltrainer for French, Italian, Spanish and English.

http://www.langenscheidt.de/produkt/5302/Langenscheidt_Vokab eltrainer_60_Englisch-DVD-ROM/978-3-468-91165-1

It's based on their Grundwortschatz series (ordered by theme, containing 3-4000 words with example sentences) but with different sentences. It's a pretty advanced SRS with words and sentences recorded by native speakers. You can add your own sentences (and languages) and export them as mp3:s. You can choose between words, sentenses or both, what srs algorithm to use if you want them repeated, the length of the audio files and the order of L1-L2. For instance you can have the word followed by the sentence for that word as L2-L1-L2.

There is also a forum:

http://vokabeln.communityhost.de/

/aloysius

I looked on Amazon.de, and they have a lot of screen prints. It looks like it also trains conjugations. Looks really good, and not very expensive. But are all the instructions in German?

EDIT: the best thing about it is that it seems to have a bunch of different ways of testing; e.g. matching columns, multiple choice, etc.

Edited by Jeffers on 18 August 2011 at 11:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 19 of 29
21 August 2011 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
I suggest you find bilingual podcasts instead. Consider looking into downloading podcasts such as JapanesePod or ChinesePod, which are often bilingual. You can also print out the sentences.

alleo
Diglot
Ukraine
Joined 5800 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 20 of 29
26 August 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Try to look here (there are japanese, chinese and English)

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 21 of 29
08 September 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Hey aloysius.

How do you actually order this program? I see that it is cheap on Amazon, but only on amazon.de. Moreover, what exactly does it do?

Does it come with audio files? That would be useful.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Joined 6175 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 

Message 22 of 29
08 September 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I have it for Italian, French, English and Spanish and I bought it from Langenscheidt. You can buy it as a download, so no need for a physical copy.

Think of it as an advanced SRS with ready-made decks (with audio in L1 and L2) in various languages (I forgot, I have it for Latin as well). What I like in particular is creating mp3:s with thousands of audio sentences, which is what this thread was all about :-), but you can use it in multiple ways.

The instructions are all in German, and it's not always all that intuitive. Apart from that, you could use the English version for teaching yourself German I believe.

//aloysius

Edited by aloysius on 08 September 2011 at 9:15pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 23 of 29
08 September 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
aloysius wrote:
Yes, I have it for Italian, French, English and Spanish and I bought it from Langenscheidt. You can buy it as a download, so no need for a physical copy.

Think of it as an advanced SRS with ready-made decks (with audio in L1 and L2) in various languages (I forgot, I have it for Latin as well). What I like in particular is creating mp3:s with thousands of audio sentences, which is what this thread was all about :-), but you can use it in multiple ways.

The instructions are all in German, and it's not always all that intuitive. Apart from that, you could use the English version for teaching yourself German I believe.

//aloysius

There are various languages for L2, but L1 is always German, correct?

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Joined 6175 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 

Message 24 of 29
08 September 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

There are various languages for L2, but L1 is always German, correct?

Genau!

But, as I said, you could probably use it for L2=German as well (there are genders but not plural endings for the German words and a German verb conjugation module) but the instructions are all in German.

//aloysius

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version