Groupie
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 25 of 29
13 October 2011 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Hey aloysius. THANKS!

This program is brilliant. They have added the ability to put the instructions in English. Moreover, the whole "Tutor" function is really useful in that it spaces out repetition for you.

What do you find more effective? The Redensarten or the Grundwortschatz? I feel like someone could easily learn about 200 or 300 words a week using the program.
1 person has voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4732 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 26 of 29
14 October 2011 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
I'm interested in learning a target language by listening to
thousands of sentances followed by their English translation. The problem is, I don't
know where I can find thousands of sentances in audio format followed by the English
translation in various languages, are they available? The whole point of this approach
is that I wouldn't have to read so I can study while driving, exercising, etc. Anybody
know if these resources are out there?

I am a bit sceptical about this method. I mean just passive listening while doing other
activities. I have good results with the text which I have both in the audio and in the
text form. It is good to look up all unknown words and to read the text several times
(I do not mean in the same day or even in one session). Then listening works as a
repetition of the previous reading. Then it is useful to add audio material with
similar vocabulary but no transcription. When I practice only listening without looking
up new word and reading the transcripts (a few times), it brings no progress. Perhaps
it helps to keep what had been learnt before. If you do not have time for studying it
is certainly good to listen to audio texts. But you cannot wait much progress until you
add working with the written texts, that is looking up new words, memorising them and
reading the text with understanding.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6086 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 27 of 29
14 October 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
In terms of sentence mining, I've a number of audiobooks for the HP series in different languages, as I'm a big fan of the L-R technique. Is there an application which can split audio files into sentences ? I know Audacity can do something similar but it's based on silent gaps in the file. I know it's technically feasible for an application to split an audio file into sentences if it's given the text as well. Has anything like this been written ?

Volte mentions listening to whole chapters in sequence. Can you imagine having an entire book at the sentence level. The biggest problem is that the sentences and phrases are sometimes rearranged in the translations.

Edited by DaraghM on 14 October 2011 at 3:26pm

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 28 of 29
15 October 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
DaraghM, there's functions in Audacity that could probably split up audio along "silence." Which you would think would occur at the end of a sentence. But it might be a little hard to do that. You could individually edit it. That might take awhile though

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 29 of 29
15 October 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
In terms of sentence mining, I've a number of audiobooks for the HP series in different languages, as I'm a big fan of the L-R technique. Is there an application which can split audio files into sentences ?

Yes. TranscriberAG. I used its earlier version called just Transcriber and it is excellent. And it is free. It requires manual operation but it helps you a whole lot.

http://transag.sourceforge.net/

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version