United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 33
22 August 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
I've read all the posts on whether one should or should not study two languages at once. But I am, and it's my first attempt, and I'm open for all and any advice!

My target languages are Arabic and Spanish.   I have some experience with both. My Arabic is at survival level, though I can read. My Spanish is tourist-level, but I can hold a simple basic conversation.

My plan now is to use FSI and Assimil for Spanish, and FSI Written Arabic and Arab Podcast 101 for the Arabic. I'll switch days, something like:

day 1 : FSI Spanish, Arabic podcast
day 2: FSI Arabic, Spanish Assimil   (edited; I mistakenly wrote Pimsleur)

I've picked up a few hints on these forums: to do at least a little of each language each day, and to try with two languages that aren't related. I'd love to have a few more pointers going forward!

(I'll continue the Arabic through the Spring, not the Spanish. This is for a trip to Mexico with an Egyptian friend in November ... and it's a bit unexpected).

(and I've been pushing hard with my French for almost 3 months. How much would I lose if I take a break? Or should I try and work this in also? It would be a serious challenge.)

Edited by kanewai on 22 August 2011 at 11:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 33
22 August 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Pimseleur and FSI seems like rather boring combination, because FSI is the same methodology but so much more
comprehensive. One lesson of FSI teach more than 3 of Pimsleur. Albeit Pimsleur is more focused on giving a
concrete topic (introducing, directions, etc. etc.) and FSI seem to do one important sentence model for every lesson
they both work the same way. But, thats my own opinion :).
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 33
22 August 2011 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
I totally agree; I meant FSI / Assimil, and corrected it. I've done Pimsleur Spanish in the past, and it worked quite well, but I don't ever need to do it again.

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 33
24 August 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
My only advice would be: don't freaking do it.
Pick either Arabic or Spanish, and alternate.
Study a language for a month, then another one the next month.
Dedicate 10 minutes a day to maintaining your dormant language.

Trust me, studying two languages at the same time is a bad idea, especially when you're a beginner.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 33
24 August 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
But they are 2 COMPLETELY different languages... There is no chance to jumble them up.

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 33
24 August 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Really? You can get confused whenever you study two languages simultaneously. Khatzumoto (AJATT) has written on the topic and he is perfectly bilingual.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 7 of 33
24 August 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I've tried studying 2 or more languages simultaneously, so I think it's a bad idea.

I'd say go through one beginner level course for one of the languages, start on the other one once you're done with the beginner level course, and try to use the language that you've completed the beginner course somehow.

Go ahead and try it your way and see if it works for you, since that's the only way you'll find out if you can do it or not. I don't know what your motivation for learning Spanish and Arabic is, but unless you need to learn both in a relatively short period of time, I wouldn't study them simultaneously.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 8 of 33
24 August 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Say what you want, but fortune favours the brave.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version