Spanky
Canada
Joined 5891 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 17 of 33
26 August 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:

Misslanguages, ... I am struck by how flippant and dismissive you seem to be to anyone
and everyone....

Yikes! Are you sure your comments are warranted here?   Let me take a further look...

misslanguages wrote:
I hope you enjoyed writing this long rant, because I couldn't be
bothered to read the whole thing. I skimmed through it, and I don't care what you think
about me.
I gave advice, if you don't like my advice, too bad.

Okay, definitely more than warranted.   
10 persons have voted this message useful

floydak
Tetraglot
Groupie
Slovakia
Joined 4789 days ago

60 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 18 of 33
28 August 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
I see no problem. Sure you can study 2 languages "simultaneously". And I think that even
both languages every day. To avoid interference you should learn first in the
morning(afternoon) and second in the evening. Let there be some pause between study-
sessions. One hour of each every day can't definitely cause you troubles.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 19 of 33
28 August 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
One thing can be a little scary: when you try to think of a word in one language, and it appears in the other. This causes some people to give up the parallel learning, but don't let it worry you. It's just an indicator that you know it well in language X and not in language Y, but this is perfectly natural, because you won't be learning the two languages at an identical pace.

In fact, when I was learning Spanish and Gaelic simultaneously, although I did sometimes get cross-interference, I actually found that it was the "old" languages that interfered most with the new ones (I'd previously studied French and Italian), and that the "new" ones didn't interfere much. So it's not really that much of a problem, seemingly.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5763 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 20 of 33
28 August 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
One thing can be a little scary: when you try to think of a word in one language, and it appears
in the other. This causes some people to give up the parallel learning, but don't let it worry you. It's just an
indicator that you know it well in language X and not in language Y, but this is perfectly natural, because you won't
be learning the two languages at an identical pace.

I think this can actually be useful, because it can show you which words you're not learning effectively enough. I
sometimes have times when I really should be able to come up with a word in Japanese first, because I've studied it
a lot, but it comes up in Esperanto or even French first and then I can say to myself, "OK, I really need to review that
because it should be more solidly in my brain by now."
It can also reveal gaps, where you have a useful word in one of your languages but haven't learned it yet in the
other, and then you can go find out what it is and study it.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 21 of 33
19 September 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Quick update: I've been focusing on French listening and speaking the past two months. Last week I started FSI Modern Written Arabic. The FSI course focuses mostly on reading comprehension, so it's using almost a completely different part of my brain than the French!

I figure I'll keep the Arabic going steadily in the background for now, reading a bit more each day, and then at some point switch - i.e. work on spoken Arabic for a month, and written French.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4759 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 22 of 33
20 September 2011 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
I've been studying polish for a while now and I just started Mandarin and I haven't felt that it was wrong in any way,
at least not yet. Both are so different languages in every single way that I don't see them overlapping. And Mandarin
is so different that it actually makes polish seem very familiar somehow. I put much more time daily on polish
because it's my first focus but I plan on continuing to study both. I think the important thing is to be comfortable
and simply to have the time to do it. In my opinion though, it's probably better to learn two languages which aren't
at the same level. Learning two new languages from scratch at the same time must be kind of a waste of time, but
who knows, it also depends on the person.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 23 of 33
20 September 2011 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
I'm personally against the idea of studying two or more languages simultaneously, not because I think it's a bad idea per se but simply because I observe that learning a new language is so much work that it's just more efficient to concentrate on one thing at time. So I would say work on one language during a given period--let's say two months- while maintaining the other language. And then switch languages.

Edited by s_allard on 20 September 2011 at 11:58am

VityaCo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 7016 days ago

79 posts - 86 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 24 of 33
21 September 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Quick update: I've been focusing on French listening and speaking the past two months. Last
week I started FSI Modern Written Arabic. The FSI course focuses mostly on reading comprehension, so it's using
almost a completely different part of my brain than the French!

I figure I'll keep the Arabic going steadily in the background for now, reading a bit more each day, and then at some
point switch - i.e. work on spoken Arabic for a month, and written French.

Originally you was going study Spanish/Arabic. Now it is French/Arabic. Why?

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version