Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Have you learned a language doing nothing?

Tags: Time to learn
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 25 of 26
30 October 2011 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
no
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 26
31 October 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Have you ever learned a language with very little or absolutely no effort (Let's exclude the sitatuion when you've learned languages while being abroad)?
I'm asking because I've hit upon the idea to learn Croatian as I simply adore this language. The problem is that I haven't really got time to learn another language full-time, so... I just want to translate news and lyrics (especially the second one - I'm in love with Croatian music).

So, tell me, If you've learned language at some level by doing nothing or almost nothing.

What an intriguing title for a thread! My first reaction was to dismiss this as another example of these crazy ideas that pop up here from time to time. But really I think it's a question of bad wording. What exactly is doing nothing? Nobody believes that you can learn a language without some effort. If I can be presumptuous, I think the OP means learning a language in a totally passive manner, without deliberate study.

Well, that is not exactly doing nothing. I imagine that if you lie on the couch half asleep listening to language tapes or CD's for a couple of hours a day, you might learn something. But if you don't make an effort to speak or think about the language, your results will be limited. In any case, the short answer is: no, you can't learn a language doing nothing.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version