Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 27
23 September 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I think one of the reasons a lot of courses and learning materials fail to promote a flow state is that they can be too bitty and compartmentalised. If you immediately jump into something new, you end up working consciously. A good class starts by revisiting the known material then working the new material into that. Too heavy a load too early on breaks the flow.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 27
23 September 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I think one of the reasons a lot of courses and learning materials fail to promote a flow state is that they can be too bitty and compartmentalised. If you immediately jump into something new, you end up working consciously. A good class starts by revisiting the known material then working the new material into that. Too heavy a load too early on breaks the flow.

Do you think a class of students could ever reach a state of flow? Is this even possible in a classroom setting? I guess individual students who really care about learning the material could (and I think I did back in the day, to be fair), but can a teacher set up a class to reach a state of flow?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 27
24 September 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Do you think a class of students could ever reach a state of flow? Is this even possible in a classroom setting? I guess individual students who really care about learning the material could (and I think I did back in the day, to be fair), but can a teacher set up a class to reach a state of flow?

It's always down to the teacher, because flow is all about pace. Now it's maybe slightly different, but my dad used to teach chemistry, and he achieved flow to the point where the entire class was pretty much mesmerised in the middle of a lesson.

As I say, it's slightly different, because there's a lot of "information" in chemistry, and not many "skills", so you do get a lot more "teacher talking time" than you might in a language class. However, he was always asking questions and keeping the class involved.

The secret to his flow state was a balancing act between "too hard" and "too easy" -- if something is too difficult, it requires a lot of conscious effort and the flow is broken. If something is too easy, you never become involved enough to achieve a flow state.

The only reason that this wouldn't be possible in a classroom environment is if you're working with a group of very mixed ability.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 27
24 September 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
The only reason that this wouldn't be possible in a classroom environment is if you're working with a group of very mixed ability.

Welcome to 21st century education in the UK.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 13 of 27
24 September 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Believe me, not only in the UK.

HMS
England
Joined 5042 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 14 of 27
25 September 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
I think it's entirely possible to get into "the zone" in a classroom situation. Thinking back, there have been many times I can, with hindsight, remember when I've been 'in it'.

A classroom situation does not always have to imply a set of students sat at desks with a teacher out from. My experiences were in simulator situations. We were being taught & assessed at the same time.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 15 of 27
25 September 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
My experiences were in simulator situations. We were being taught & assessed at the same time.

What do you mean by 'simulator situations'? Acting out a situation as a group?

I have often speculated that one of the most effective learning situations would be walking around 'through life' with a friend or tutor in L2. For example, walking around in a shopping mall, talking about everything you see and do. Browsing, shopping, having lunch, or just chatting over a coffee. Walking and chatting on a quiet street, in a park or on a beach, etc. would be other examples. Unfortunately, I don't have an L2 friend or tutor for such walks. But I think it would be immensely productive. It probably could be done effectively with a very small class with a teacher. Better than sitting behind desks in a classroom.

HMS
England
Joined 5042 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 16 of 27
25 September 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
A simulated warship ops room and simulated aircrewman station in a helo.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version