Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 27
27 September 2011 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
To come back to the OP, I think that what is referred to as the flow, especially with reference to oral performance in the target language, is really a state or level of performance that is very satisfying and pleasureful because of a feeling of mastering the language. My own observation conforms to what others have mentioned here and goes something like this:

Let's say you haven't spoken your target language for a while and you now find yourself in a conversation with one or more native speakers. In the beginning you find your own speech a bit clumsy. You're searching for words, making silly mistakes, your pronunciation is off. Then what happens is that you self-correct by hearing what others say. For example, you say something in a rather awkward way or use the wrong word. The other person then either corrects you or just spontaneously says it the right way. Then you start using the right form. If there are multiple native speakers present, you can observe how they interact and you can imitate their speech patterns. After 15-30 minutes of all this--and if, a big if here, you have strong enough passive skills in the language, it all starts to come together and you feel more at ease in the language. Things start to fall in place. It all comes together. This in my opinion is the flow. This why is applies more to advanced speakers than to beginners. And also this is why it concerns speaking and not so much reading.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 26 of 27
28 September 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
To come back to the OP, I think that what is referred to as the flow, especially with reference to oral performance in the target language, is really a state or level of performance that is very satisfying and pleasureful because of a feeling of mastering the language. My own observation conforms to what others have mentioned here and goes something like this:

Let's say you haven't spoken your target language for a while and you now find yourself in a conversation with one or more native speakers. In the beginning you find your own speech a bit clumsy. You're searching for words, making silly mistakes, your pronunciation is off. Then what happens is that you self-correct by hearing what others say. For example, you say something in a rather awkward way or use the wrong word. The other person then either corrects you or just spontaneously says it the right way. Then you start using the right form. If there are multiple native speakers present, you can observe how they interact and you can imitate their speech patterns. After 15-30 minutes of all this--and if, a big if here, you have strong enough passive skills in the language, it all starts to come together and you feel more at ease in the language. Things start to fall in place. It all comes together. This in my opinion is the flow. This why is applies more to advanced speakers than to beginners. And also this is why it concerns speaking and not so much reading.

That is one manifestation of flow. However, it is not the only one.

Flow is a state of efficient thought, and can be achieved while learning. A flow state is a state with minimal frustration or confusion. Some teachers genuinely believe in "no pain no gain", but I've experienced (near) painless learning and every time it has been far more efficient than trying to force learning in.
1 person has voted this message useful

Andrew Coach
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4740 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English, Hungarian

Message 27 of 27
03 October 2011 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Being in the flow applies to any level of learning, it just looks different from the outside. From the inside, the
flow can be typified by having a flow of energy which at the same time as nourishes you, it motivates you. So in
the beginning levels the needs to have this dynamic is equally as important. The problem, as has been said
elsewhere in this discussion, is that many times teachers and learners believe in the "force it" method of learning.
This method basically ignores the need for the learner to be engaged.

So for beginners the need is to do those things that keep them at the edge of knowing and not knowing, based
firmly in production of language ( not on passive input). For this to happen learners need to have a degree of
self awareness and understanding at some level that they need to stay engaged in what they are doing. The kind
of engagement that people experience when they are playing video games! :-) The trick is to keep looking for
those kinds of learning where this happens. The transformation to that happens when the learner gets the taste
for that kind of learning. Once you know the taste, then you keep looking for it. If you don't know it, you need
to get it! :-)

If teachers understand this, they can transform their classes into places where learners feel drawn towards
learning, and energised by it, rather than places where they feel they have to drag themselves towards the
exercises, etc.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version