Groupie
Germany
Joined 5598 days ago

99 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 1 of 27
26 September 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Since renewing my language learning efforts in August (thanks, 6 week challenge!), I've encountered an annoying problem: I sometimes have the time, the will and the motivation to do more, but after a certain amount of time, my brain simply goes on strike.

In general, I've been finding it hard to do more than 3 hours of quality self-study in a single day (two is already a grand achievement). It would be nice if I were capable of doubling that for when both free time and motivation are abundant. Basically, I'd just like to be able to use those occasional free Saturdays a bit more efficiently.

For those who are capable of more, do you have any tips or strategies to keep up concentration and avoid mental fatigue?

1 person has voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5353 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 2 of 27
26 September 2011 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Exercise and a good diet make a big difference. Although my diet could still be
improved I have noticed my concentration get much better after a few weeks of doing
cardio exercises daily for about 30-45 minutes.

Try to eat something every 3-4 hours, this will keep your energy levels more consistent
throughout the day. I read an article once that said that the habit of 3 meals a day
doesn't really suit the way our bodies work. If you want your metabolism to remain more
or less constant and optimise your body's (and brain's) performance then 4 or 5 smaller
meals a day is much better. Or have three meals and two large, but healthy, snacks
which is what I do.

Keeping study times to about 45 minutes long, followed by a break for 10-15 minutes
works best for me, though after my second study session I take a longer break of about
25-30 minutes.

I find a light jog between study sessions can be beneficial too, it relaxes the mind
and gets the blood flowing so when you return your concentration won't plummet too
quickly.
8 persons have voted this message useful

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English

Message 3 of 27
26 September 2011 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
Timeboxing is great for this reason. Initially My brain had a hard limit of 2 hours per day total. I started using
timeboxing, 10min on 10-50min off and I was able to study for an entire day. I have since been able to
gradually improve the ratio. I now do 13min on 1-2 min off, with a proper break every couple of hours.

And as the other poster mentioned, exercise is important, and diet is even more important. Cut out food
products that screw with your blood sugar levels, ie a coke and white bread sandwich for lunch makes you
feel great for about an hour or so and then you have a massive dip in energy as your insulin levels skyrocket
to try and fix the blood sugar levels. The first video on this page helps explain it somewhat:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/09/06/the-swedis h-revolution-glucose-and-cancer/
4 persons have voted this message useful

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 4 of 27
26 September 2011 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
A good sleep is essential.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jo15
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4763 days ago

13 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 5 of 27
26 September 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I agree with what has been said, learnt valuable lessons from uni days!

Simple things like going for a walk, fresh air and no coffee also work wonders.

But, surely learning a language should be fun and rewarding, not just sat drilling words into memory? So maybe only studying for however long comes naturally will be more beneficial in the long run as you are actually learning and not forcing yourself to sit and study? Personal opinion of course, I've never been the most motivated of people myself.

Andrew Coach
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4740 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English, Hungarian

Message 6 of 27
30 September 2011 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Having breaks of course is important. But the real reason that these problems set in is ( if you have taken breaks ie)
because what you are doing is boring, is repetitive or is not engaging.
So the trick is to learn languages in a way that engages you...in the same way as some people are engaged in video
games. Have you heard any one of them complain of what you are talking about? :-)

Andrew Coach
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4740 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English, Hungarian

Message 7 of 27
30 September 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
We are always motivated when we are with our first love :-)
The reason we lose our motivation is because we have lost the emotional connection with what we are doing.
Maybe that's why they say, to find a lover in the new language :-)

tricycle
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5598 days ago

99 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 8 of 27
30 September 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the input, everyone. My diet and exercise routine have been quite good since getting into fitness and weightlifting earlier this year, but I'm probably guilty on the coffee and sleep fronts.

Timeboxing/pomodori/etc seem like they may be the solution. I experimented a bit earlier this week and was easily able to do about 4 hours in one day. My only problem is that sometimes I'm so "in the zone" that I don't want to stop when the timer goes off! I'm also going to try other things to stay alert such as switching between languages and changing study locations.

(I certainly don't want to give the impression that I'm a workaholic who crams all the time, though! For example yesterday I only managed to get in about 40 minutes of French listening.)

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version