2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 12
27 September 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
otakuclub wrote:
I think that I know 1500-2000 vocab

Oh, sorry! I thought you were just starting. Then good luck with N2!

wrote:
I'll try the "iversen method" ;) could I learn about 200 vocab in a day with this method? wow

If you use Iversen's wordlist method then I would group the compounds for as many kanji as you can. Your JLPT list does this anyway but also include the words where the kanji comes at the end. This will help you memorize the readings faster, I think. A kanji dictionary can help.

Kanji: 物 mono, motsu, butsu

瀬戸  せともの
農産  のうさんぶつ
置   ものおき   
差し  ものさし

2 persons have voted this message useful

Andrew Coach
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4740 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English, Hungarian

Message 10 of 12
30 September 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
To remember vocabulary these are the important things I have found need to be done:

1. contextualise the word eg "I used the CAMERA to take pictures of the things that I like"
2. Make it personal: "I love taking pictures of my friend with my CAMERA"
3. DO NOT TRANSLATE or use another language - that way you use the new language
4. Use full sentences.
5. Make the sentences FULL of meaning

That way you can dispense with repetition...a very poor way to learn vocabulary...
...dispense with translation
...dispense with boredom

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6020 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 11 of 12
01 October 2011 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Andrew Coach wrote:

3. DO NOT TRANSLATE or use another language - that way you use the new language

5. Make the sentences FULL of meaning

This assumes that all words are easy or you already have a reference for the new word. What if you have no reference? Japanese is not the easiest language to learn without a net, so-to-speak. A word like あき (otakuclub's N2 list) is not the hardest word to learn, but it basically has two meanings:

空き(P); 明き 【あき】 ; (n) (1) space; room; emptiness; gap; (2) opening; vacancy; empty seat; (3) free time; time to spare; (4) disuse; unused thing-----)(Jim Breen)

If otakuclub (or anyone) tries to make sentences from scratch, I'd think it would be necessary to use a translation like this one.

I personally think Japanese is not a language to learn using the wordlist method alone, so I think the sentence-making idea is a good one! :)

Edited by Sunja on 01 October 2011 at 1:22pm

Andrew Coach
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4740 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English, Hungarian

Message 12 of 12
02 October 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
The whole point of not translating is not about easiness. It's point is to make the learner use all their faculties to
sort out the meaning. The reality is that language is a way of expressing a reality ( as seen by a culture). That is one
reason why translating is very poor method. It tries to see everything from one standpoint.
Great language learning requires you to let go of how you see the world and put yourself in the shoes of how
someone else sees the world. We already do this to some extent when we try to understand somebody we are
having issues with. In language learning this requirement is taken to a new level.
Sometimes this will take time...you may feel like you are getting closer and closer, but not yet have it. But one day if
you are attentive enough, read enough, listen enough you will sort it out. Checking out a Japanese to Japanese
dictionary for eg may help in the examples you are talking about, but not always. You may need to check many J to J
dictionaries, and even then....enjoy! :-)

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version