11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 11
10 October 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
At the moment the usefulness of anki has gone down somewhat. I am finding the amount of words I need to
learn for my course, is far greater than the amount of words I can churn through in anki. My backlog of words
Iam supposed to have studied (but havent yet) is about 500 words.

For example, I can easily maintain 20-25 new words per day in anki, however passing the end of term exam
will require me to have learnt about 35 words per day. Not learning 10 or so of the required words per day is
obviously quite detrimental to my ability to participate in the class.

I am considering solutions to the problem such as just cramming the whole list and abandoning the idea that I
will ever be able to get my queue down to zero.

Has anyone ever tried this, will it end badly?

I am thinking that if I do this, perhaps I will end up with more words that will stick than if I slowly grind through
all words (difficult and non difficult alike).

Edited by dongsen on 11 October 2011 at 12:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

245 posts - 422 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 11
10 October 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I had the same problem with Anki when I tried it with a 10000-word deck for learning Spanish. Things started off nice and smooth, and I think I had it set to give 25 or 50 new words per day. But the problem was the number of words to review eventually outnumbered the number of words to learn by a factor of 10 or even 100. So I was spending most of a session clicking through words to get them out of the way. What I discovered was that even words that are marked as very easy will eventually need to be reviewed, say 3 months down the line by which time they have piled up with a few hundred / thousand other words. And eventually I would have to pay the piper and suddenly need to review like 900 words in one day! Needless to say, I quit using Anki before I got to that 900-word day of doom. I think the problem with Anki is that it forces you to explicitly review every word, even if it is marked as very easy. What it should do is take a statistical sample of those words marked as very easy (say 30), so that the user isn't buried under an avalanche of reviewing.

Edited by tibbles on 10 October 2011 at 6:22pm

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 3 of 11
10 October 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
The problem is probably not Anki but the way you use it.

When we are overwhelmed by the number of repetition, that means that we either try to learn new words faster that we are able to memorize them or that we are too conservative in the notation of the review.

What you can do is to stop to add words during few weeks or increase the note you give to your reviews. A third possibility is to delete the words you don't mind to forgot.

Edited by jean-luc on 10 October 2011 at 11:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes

Message 4 of 11
11 October 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Sorry I believe I may not have been clear enough in my question. My problem is not that my daily reviews are
too high, my problem is that my course/language program requires me to learn more words per day/week
than is possible using Anki.

ie I can keep up 20 new words per day in anki easily, but I am being asked to learn 30-40 words per day.
Each day I add the list of new words, and half of them never get studied.

Hence I am interested in the experience of people who have tried cramming their lists down, ie saying "stuff
the anki algorithm, im just going to look at everything"

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 11
11 October 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
.... you can change the number of new words anki presents you every day?

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 11
11 October 2011 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
dongsen wrote:

ie I can keep up 20 new words per day in anki easily, but I am being asked to learn 30-40 words per day.
Each day I add the list of new words, and half of them never get studied.

Sorry I did not understood. You can change the number of new words to learn in Study options -> New cards -> New Cards/day. Alternatively you can do Review - > Learn more.

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes

Message 7 of 11
11 October 2011 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
Sorry, wow I must be really unclear, my question is not about how to use Anki (:

Of couse I can increase the number of words Anki shows me each day, the problem with this is that the daily
review queue becomes too large for me to complete.

Hence the question.

If I simply focus on learning all my new words and not worry about the review queue that much. Perhaps this
is a better approach. That way the words that are easy to learn will be learnt and the words that are harder to
learn will be stuck somewhere at the end of the queue for a long time.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5917 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 8 of 11
11 October 2011 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
30-40 words is too much for me too. However if you keep working with Anki at a steady pace you will get through it eventually. You won't be studying vocab intensively at school forever. If you need to cram vocab for a test, do this outside Anki. You also might consider filtering words you add to your deck from the lists you get from school.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version